GitHub is looking for a Business Manager for the Legal, Policy, and CSR functions of the company (GitHub CELA). This position will report directly to the General Counsel and will work closely with the leadership team to help GitHub grow, scale, and run the business more effectively.
GitHub is the most important software development platform in the world, and is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 30 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repos. With GitHub joining the Microsoft family of companies, and being able to draw on Microsoft resources, the company is now poised to accelerate its growth even further.
The GitHub CELA team works on the cutting edge of business and regulatory issues around the world, playing a proactive and engaged role, innovating and pioneering new legal and policy solutions as befits GitHub as gateway for software sharing and collaboration.
As a Business Manager and key member of the team, you have will visibility across the company, and a voice and opportunity to influence and drive the strategic and operational needs of its legal, policy, and CSR functions. This role calls for a balance of leadership, influence and communication skills, and excellence in organizational and project management. You must be able to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects, tasks, and deadlines. As no two days are the same, you should enjoy change! The abilities to deal with ambiguity, drive clarity, and lead through change are critical to success in this role and for the larger team.
The role is based in Redmond, Washington, and involves regular travel to GitHub HQ in San Francisco.
- Business strategy:
- Drive quarterly planning process (OKRs) for the leadership team, with review milestones.
- Lead strategic initiatives and key projects on behalf of the General Counsel.
- Partner closely with other functions at GitHub and Microsoft, and use cross-functional knowledge to understand issues, trends, and perspectives that influence the business.
- Operational excellence:
- Design and implement a rhythm of the business including leadership team meetings, all-hands, etc. for a team distributed across multiple locations in the U.S. and overseas. Build meeting agendas, prepare and present content, capture and track action items
- Support a broader ROB that includes fiscal year planning, budget and forecasting, HR, and other activities, in partnership with Finance, HR, and the business manager community.
- Effectively leverage a diverse set of technologies and tools, including GitHub itself.
- Culture and organizational excellence:
- Lead internal communications, culture, and organizational health initiatives to help create a high functioning, inclusive, and happy team focused on the right priorities and values.
- Partner with HR and business manager community on recruiting, team development, diversity, and leadership initiatives.
- Executive management:
- Drive leadership team to clear, efficient, and accountable decision making.
- Function as a trusted advisor and sounding board for the GC and the leadership team.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least four years of relevant experience. Prior roles in business management, project management, or management consulting would be a strong plus.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Work experience with legal, policy, and CSR issues and functions
- Self-starter – you are an independent self-starter who loves to own things end-to-end. You have a high degree of personable accountability. You make things happen.
- High standards – you set and hold yourself to high standards for quality and attention to detail, and you demonstrate outstanding judgment.
- Problem Solver – you solve ambiguous problems by applying frameworks to get to the ﬁrst principles, aligning resources on the goal, executing, learning, and adapting.
- Collaborator – You have the skills, maturity, and a record of success in working effectively across different functions and organizations.
- Open, confident communicator – You are able to effectively engage and influence at all levels by building positive working relationships with stakeholders. You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High functioning and adaptable – you are effective at multitasking, balancing competing priorities, and delivering results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. You manage well through change.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.