Developers all over the world flock to GitHub to work together on software projects. They come to thrive as developers, to learn, to iterate and improve. They come to build software together in a well structured collaborative environment with processes that are efficient and smooth. Supporting developers in all of this is our mandate; GitHub is the super maintainer of software.
The A-B-C of functioning as the super maintainer of software is building an incredible product and supporting a robust platform. Intrinsic to this effort is a responsibility to lead change in the policy environment—laws, regulations, norms, and standard practices—to optimize it for software and developers—our users and customers. GitHub is uniquely positioned to bridge the challenges of collective action and represent the multitudes of developers in policy debates that directly affect their future.
GitHub is the gateway for software development. Our impact and customers are global, and so is our vision. We're looking for a technologist who will materially contribute to our vision by helping ground our policy initiatives with detailed, innovative, and technically astute analysis and engineering.
A cover letter is required. A crisp cover letter, preferred.
- Create detailed analyses of how a wide range and rapidly shifting policy proposals impact software developers
- Create and contribute to blog posts, presentations, amicus briefs, educational materials, working documents/spreadsheets/databases supporting/resulting from above analyses
- Evaluate technologies as needed to understand their potential policy impacts
- Contribute to/help maintain policy-relevant internal and public open source repositories and software tools
- Fast, accurate, precise writer on technical and policy topics
- Solid high-level understanding of how computer programs, the web, the internet, etc., work, and demonstrated ability to quickly learn details of any info technology
- Professional software development experience, or equivalent (e.g., substantial open source contributions)
- Loves reading, dissecting, editing, and understanding from all sides policy documents such as those related to legislation, court cases, regulations, standards, site policies, licenses, policy-enacting software code, academic papers, and datasets
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 79 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.