GitHub is looking for engineers to join the Data Center team within the Production Engineering organization. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. In this role you will help plan, grow, and maintain GitHub's global physical infrastructure.
The Production Engineering team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Plan, deploy, and maintain our global physical infrastructure.
- Work with OEMs, ODMs, and VARs to build and integrate efficient and economical hardware.
- Interact with other teams outside of the Platform Engineering organization to ensure the uptime and reliability.
- Collaborate with network, systems, and software engineers to design and optimize our physical infrastructure.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Experience planning, maintaining, and deploying physical infrastructure.
- Understanding of data center power, HVAC, and security systems.
- Deep understanding of the Linux operating system.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python and Bash.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving performance and reliability problems at the intersection of hardware and software.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- Experience building infrastructure automation.
- Experience tuning and debugging Linux kernel device drivers.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over 27 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 67 million repositories. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
Collaboration: We believe the best work is done together.
Empathy: We believe in putting people first.
Quality: We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
Positive Impact: We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
Shipping: We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe. Here is a complete list of where we can hire!
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.