At Ginger.io, we use smartphones to improve mental health care. Our app uses sensor data collected through the phone and self-reported information to identify people who may need help. Doctors and care teams can use this data to deliver support to the right people at the right time—making care more timely, effective and engaging.
As we’ve grown, we’ve become part of the care solution at institutions such as Kaiser Permanente, Novant Health, UCSF, Duke Medical and Cincinnati Children's. In addition, Ginger.io has emerged as a leading voice in the conversation around bringing technology to behavioral health. Ginger.io is part of the Techstars network and is VC-backed by Khosla Ventures and True Ventures.
At Ginger.io, the data engineering team is responsible for the production data pipeline, including both the passive behavioral data and the user-reported survey data. We ensure that each of our customers has access to the data to do their job well: the data science team for use in developing predictive models; product analytics for making data-driven product decisions; the web and mobile teams for empowering data visualizations; and customers via our partner API. We also work closely with the data science team to implement predictive models for use in our products.
As a member of the data engineering team, you’ll quickly learn our current architecture and have the opportunity to work with us to design and implement major components in our pipeline. You’ll bring an eye for simplicity in design that enables other engineers to quickly learn and contribute, makes it easy for us to maintain, and ultimately enables the company to iterate on the value we deliver to our users as rapidly as possible.
- Work directly with internal customers to understand, define, and prioritize requirements
- Take ownership of our data models, performing redesigns and data migrations to match application requirements and streamline reporting
- Simplify our backend shared services for scalability
- Work closely with our data science team to optimize iteration time, including their ability to easily access data and quickly experiment and implement predictive models
- Share rotating responsibility for triaging and debugging incoming issues, being on-call for production issues
- Contribute to a consistent, high-quality codebase via code reviews
- Passion for writing well-structured, idiomatic, tested code
- Leading major re-designs of code and service architecture on a production system
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Intuition, skills, and persistence for tracking down and resolving bugs
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to contribute outside your core skillset
- 5+ years developing production web applications
- 2+ years Python/Django experience
- Strong OO design skills and understanding design patterns
- Experience with the technologies in our current stack (AWS, Ansible, Linux, Nginx, RabbitMQ/Celery, MySQL, Redis)
- Experience with other technologies we aren’t already leveraging (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, HBase, Thrift, ETL)
- Working in a regulated environment, such as HIPAA or PCI, a plus
Ginger.io offers a competitive salary and benefits in San Francisco’s Financial District. Our mission-driven culture combines a love of learning with a strong belief that everyone has a voice to contribute if we are to succeed and make a difference. We believe in empowering our team with the tools and transparent culture that we all need to perform and grow.