Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Crimetown, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet offers a comprehensive slate of benefits. We cover 100% of employee and family premiums for medical and dental insurance, and we offer vision insurance at a low cost. Other benefits include pre-tax commuter, medical and dependent care FSA accounts, 401(k), unlimited vacation, and an annual training reimbursement.
We’re looking for a smart, collaborative audio engineer to join the technical and sound design team here at Gimlet. This person will help to edit and mix Gimlet podcasts to our high standard of quality. Their first assignment will be exclusively with the StartUp team for their seventh season. They’ll support Gimlet producers and hosts by mixing music, SFX, narration, and field recordings to produce a compelling and unique audio experience. They’ll work as part of a team of both audio engineers and producers, and will also be tasked with training StartUp staffers in the best practices of recording and editing. This person must be able to work in harmony with different teams under deadline pressure. The ability to multitask and prioritize are key.
What You’ll Do:
- Edit and mix Gimlet podcasts (beginning with StartUp)
- Clip gain leveling, crossfading, de-noising, and general session cleanup & preparation for final mix
- Session Organization - name, label, and organize show assets into clean, presentable sessions
- Sound Design - build ambience and music beds, use location audio to build atmosphere under in-studio dialog
- Assist the StartUp team with setting up in studio recordings involving multiple guests and remote connections
- Help implement strong workflow procedures for sessions with multiple collaborators
- Help teach and train staff in studio procedure, Pro Tools operation, and recording best practices
- Help source and/or create original music for use in podcasts
- Work with a bi-coastal team (New York & San Francisco) to implement and manage a Pro Tools session and audio delivery system
What you have:
- 3 years experience working in music / broadcast / post production facilities
- Pro Tools fluency - should have an in-depth understanding of current software
- Understanding of studio topology, signal-flow, and common recording equipment
- Impeccable file organizational skills
- Basic Mac / OSX troubleshooting ability
- Any experience in computer networking would be a plus
- Experience in studio build-out / wiring a plus
- Bonus: Project management skills
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter. Include links to 3 different work samples and write a brief explanation of your role for each.