America is divided, and it always has been. We're going back to the moment when that split turned into war. This is Uncivil: Gimlet Media's new history podcast, hosted by journalists Jack Hitt and Chenjerai Kumanyika. We ransack the official version of the Civil War, and take on the history you grew up with. We bring you untold stories about covert operations, corruption, resistance, mutiny, counterfeiting, antebellum drones, and so much more. And we connect these forgotten struggles to the political battlefield we’re living on right now.
We need an intern for the fall. Here’s what would make you a great fit for this position: You love great stories and audio, and thinking about how to put them together. You’re deeply curious. You’re someone who believes collaboration makes work better. You’re hungry to learn. The team will work closely on all steps of production, including finding and shaping story ideas, interviewing, field recording, cutting tape, and editing stories. The intern will be a part of all of that.
What You’ll Do
- Log tape and select the best moments from interviews
- Dig around for archival audio
- Pitch story ideas
- Participate in edit sessions
What You Have
- The drive to do great work
- Ability to balance several responsibilities at once, and solid follow through
- Love of audio storytelling
- Responsiveness to feedback
- Familiarity with audio editing software
- A willingness to step in where needed, to learn new skills, to work with a team
This is a paid, full-time internship based in our Brooklyn, NY, offices and will run from October through January.
What You Should Submit
Please send a resume, cover letter, and short answers (250 words or less) to these two questions:
- Tell us about your favorite moment from a podcast you recently listened to. What makes that moment compelling?
- Pick a moment from pre-1950s American history that you think has significant reverberations in the present: describe it, tell us why that story is interesting to you, and how you’d want to tell it.
This posting will close Tuesday, September 26th at 5pm Eastern.