Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, StartUp, Crimetown, Homecoming, and The Nod. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet offers a comprehensive slate of benefits. We cover 100% of employee and family premiums for medical and dental insurance, and we offer vision insurance at a low cost. Other benefits include pre-tax commuter, medical and dependent care FSA accounts, 401(k), unlimited vacation, and an annual training reimbursement.
Gimlet’s new show development team is tasked with developing and piloting all new shows that the company pursues. It’s the job of the development team to help talented creators bring the best version possible of their idea to life while maintaining the high quality audio experience and supportive work environment that Gimlet is known for.
As a senior development producer, you will help drive Gimlet's editorial vision. You'll be laying the foundation for what Gimlet sounds like, what shows and topics we tackle, what audiences we serve. It's an opportunity to shape the world for millions of listeners. You'll be leading the charge in bringing in new show ideas, producing pilots, and ensuring the successful handoff of pilots into regular programming.
What You’ll Do:
- Pilot 2-3 regularly occurring show ideas each year, figuring out how to tell the stories, what the shows should sound like, and how they can run and grow sustainably
- Work with internal and external creators to brainstorm new show ideas and new formats, and bring them to life
- Create clear paths forward to the piloting stage for those show ideas
- Run pitch meetings for the shows in development and help make key decisions about what to kill or move forward with
- Work closely with producers, hosts and editors to get ideas from the conceptual stage, through reporting, and into drafts and, eventually, to their polished form
- Work closely with hosts to provide editorial direction to the team
- Make editorial decisions, produce episodes, and help get all episodes in shape for edits and publish
- Conduct interviews in-studio and in the field, produce a host in interviews and the field, and quickly cut tape.
- Hire, train, coach and manage junior development producers, supporting them through each stage of the production process
- Work closely with business team and legal team to ensure that all deal memos, contracts and working arrangements reflect all editorial needs and realities
What You Have
- At least five years experience producing audio
- Strong familiarity with all aspects of producing audio, including writing prep documents, field production and interviewing, cutting tape, writing scripts, and basic mixing
- The ability to think big picture while also executing the many small details and tasks that keep the show running smoothly
- Discerning tastes
- Excellent organizational ability
The ideal person for this role is a creative thinker, not beholden to conventional wisdom. We’re looking for someone who is collaborative, communicative, organized, and energetic, with great judgment and sharp instincts.
What you should submit:
- A resume
- A cover letter
- Three examples of work you’ve done in the past. Supply links to Youtube, Soundcloud, etc
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position based in our Brooklyn, NY offices. This posting will close on Wednesday, March 21, at 5:00pm ET.