Gimlet Media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Mogul, Homecoming, Reply All, and Uncivil. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet offers a comprehensive slate of benefits. We cover 100% of employee and family premiums for medical and dental insurance, and we offer vision insurance at a low cost. Other benefits include pre-tax commuter, medical and dependent care FSA accounts, 401(k), unlimited vacation, and an annual training reimbursement.
The Nod tells the stories of Black life that don’t get told anywhere else. Our show ranges from an explanation of purple drink’s association with Black culture, to the story of an interracial drag troupe that traveled the nation in the 1940s, to a piece about sharecropping long past the end of reconstruction. We celebrate the genius, the innovation, and the resilience that is so particular to being Black in America and around the world. The show launched in July 2017, and although we've already dissed Drake, gotten Hillary Banks to eat peanut butter, and recorded a Black businesses scavenger hunt, we have great ambitions to do much more.
A Gimlet editor plays a lot of roles: manager, creative vision enabler, coach, and most importantly, teammate. We’re looking for an editor who has experience in journalism, a strong appreciation and familiarity The Nod does, and an ambitious vision for what the show can do. This is a leadership position at Gimlet, and we’re looking for someone who finds enormous satisfaction in growing and nurturing a team, and in shaping and editing exceptional stories.
What You’ll Do
- Guide the show toward ambitious stories, helping the team refine big ideas, and pushing for the best possible finished product
- Create and enforce the editorial vision and identity for the show along with the hosts and senior producer by setting editorial standards for the show, developing skills on the team, and helping manage workloads and expectations.
- Work closely with show producers to develop pitches and ideas -- from the conceit of a multi-part story, to the arc of a single episode.
- Coach producers and hosts to develop new skills, from first tape-gathering to final polish
- Work closely with producers, hosts and editors to get scripts from draft to final language
- Work closely with hosts to provide editorial direction to the team
- Be a talent magnet, helping us build our team of talented producers, reporters, and other editors
- Champion the Gimlet culture and help us think about new ways to engage and develop our talent at every level of the company
- Work with other editorial leaders to shape the long-term strategy and vision of Gimlet on everything from talent development to pioneering new, experimental storytelling formats
- Work closely with Gimlet Creative and our marketing team to make sure the show is meeting its business and audience expectations
What You Have
- 5+ years of experience editing or story production; audio is a major plus
- A deep familiarity of, and appreciation for, Black culture
- A strong understanding of the Black podcasting landscape
- Comfort and proficiency in structuring and editing non-linear, narrative pieces
- A proven knack for managing, mentoring, and helping others develop in their careers
- Exceptional communication skills, across the board
- An ability to jump between projects and contribute meaningful guidance, no matter the context
- A strong vision for what makes exceptional, ambitious stories sing
This is a full-time role, based in our Brooklyn, NY offices. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter (yes, we read cover letters!) below.
This posting will close at 5 PM ET on Wednesday, March 21.