Gimlet media tells stories through audio. Our roster of podcasts includes newly-launched, critically-acclaimed shows like Uncivil and The Nod. We’re also home to perennial favorites Reply All and StartUp. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team.
We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to make amazing things, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here.
Gimlet offers a comprehensive slate of benefits. We cover 100% of employee and family premiums for medical and dental insurance, and we offer vision insurance at a low cost. Other benefits include pre-tax commuter, medical and dependent care FSA accounts, 401(k), unlimited vacation, and an annual training reimbursement.
Maybe you’ve laid awake imagining how it could’ve been, how it might yet be, but the moment to act was never right. Well, the moment is here and the podcast making it happen is Heavyweight. Join Jonathan Goldstein for road trips, thorny reunions, and difficult conversations as he backpedals his way into the past like a therapist with a time machine. Heavyweight was named the number one podcast of 2016 by the Atlantic. According to the New Yorker, "Goldstein is engrossing. When he talks, you listen in state of simmering amusement.”
Our ideal senior producer candidate will be comfortable handling a range of tasks, from production to administrative. They’ll be responsible for keeping the show running on schedule; they’ll also find stories and edit tape. Heavyweight stories are very plot and idea driven. They have emotional arcs, compelling characters, surprises, and drama. And lots of humour.
What You’ll Do
- Lead story meetings and edits
- Help problem-solve structural issues on complex stories
- Cut and direct voice tracks
- Edit tape
- Do rough mixes and musical scoring.
- Find and pitch compelling stories
- Schedule meetings and interviews
- Conduct pre-interviews, research stories, and track down people who are difficult to find
- Draft interview questions,
- Transcribe and log audio, identify great tape
An essential part of the job is editing: listening to drafts and giving notes. The show is very collaborative.
What we’re looking for
- Candidates who have demonstrated experience doing narrative journalism, telling stories that contain plot, humor, emotion and relatable characters.
- At least five years experience producing radio.
- Audio editing and mixing skills.
- Someone who is capable of big picture thinking while also executing the many small details and tasks that keep the show running smoothly. Excellent organizational ability.
- An acute understanding of the type of stories Jonathan is best known for and a deep knowledge of the show, its voice, its mission; what a Heavyweight story is. So, an ability to brainstorm different rabbit holes for the story to wander down, mapping out potential story structures and helping build the piece.
The ideal person for this role is a great writer, can work collaboratively, and is driven to complete an excellent finished product. We’re looking for someone who is tireless, with great judgment and sharp instincts.
What you should submit:
- A resume
- A cover letter
- A pitch (half a page, please) for a good Heavyweight story, explaining why you think it’d be appropriate for the show
- Three examples of work you’ve done in the past. Supply links to Youtube, Soundcloud, etc
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible position based in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
This posting will close at 5 PM ET on Friday, February 16.