GILLIG LLC is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of Heavy Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all 50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts, universities and major private fleet operators. We are headquartered in Livermore, CA.
About the Role:
GILLIG’s mission is design, build, and support the safest and most reliable transit buses in the United States. Our products help reduce congestion, contribute to a cleaner environment, and provide mobility to all. As a strategic and influential Director, Program Management on our Product Planning & Strategy team you will help improve quality of life through transformative mass transit solutions.
The Director, Program Management will lead a team of Program Managers to deliver company-wide programs and strategic initiatives on a cross-functional basis. GILLIG is working to transform the way we do program management. We are looking for a leader to drive this change. The ideal candidate will understand Lean Six Sigma and other portfolio-based methodologies.
You will report to the Vice President Product Planning & Strategy and will work collaboratively and closely with the company’s leadership team.
• Manage and lead a team of Program Managers responsible for leading cross-functional programs to deliver on-time, on-budget and on-spec projects
• Work with each functional area within GILLIG to define the content, tools, processes, and core competencies needed to successfully develop and launch new products into production
• Actively manage the overall GILLIG project portfolio including KPIs, risk management/mitigation and reporting to senior leadership
• Drive estimation, planning, organizing and monitoring of the activities of cross-functional teams while maintaining overall control of schedules, risks, financials and committed deliverables
• Lead the effort to improve and optimize the GILLIG NPI processes and tools
• Collaborate with Business Management & Product Planning to align and prioritize initiatives within program roadmap establishing integrated program view
• Actively cultivate an inclusive program management culture to foster cross-functional buy-in and commitment to program success
• Attract, develop, and retain talent to achieve a strong team; and develop personal coaching and leadership skills to stay in-line with industry trends
• Provide leadership, coaching, and mentoring to direct reports to foster a culture of excellence and continuous learning
• Exhibit strong emotional intelligence, interpersonal and leadership skills to build loyalty trust, and commitments from key internal and external contacts involved with making decisions
• Ensure accurate forecasting, budgeting and financial management is conducted within each project
• Provide oversight, guidance and remediation for troubled projects and identify, when possible, the conditions that require remedy to prevent a project from becoming troubled
• Institutionalize improvement opportunities using a formal Lessons Learned process
• Work independently and handle frequently changing needs of an organization that is constantly evolving
• The ideal candidate is willing and able to get their hands dirty from creating board decks to managing product development process to supporting customer conversations
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work visas now or in the future
• Bachelors or Masters degree in technical field, MBA preferred
• 10+ years program planning experience, including 5+ years in automotive, commercial vehicle, aerospace or related field
• Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams to successfully launch major new products
• Expert knowledge of project management tools, software, and best practices
• Experience leading and facilitating project team meetings, cross-functional communication and decision making, and ensuring ongoing alignment with internal/external stakeholders
• Excellent business acumen, demonstrated ability to align teams to strategy to achieve business and project objectives
• Deep analytical skills and demonstrated ability to transform data to actionable information
• Highly accomplished verbal and written presentation, communication and persuasion skills.
• Proven strategic and critical-thinking skills, high level of independent judgment, initiative and creativity to identify and clearly communicate strategies to senior management
About the Environment:
• Scope of responsibilities necessitate periodic evening and weekend workload productivity
• Working environment is primarily indoors (office and production environment
• Physical requirements – Regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; Sitting may be for long periods of time
• No travel required
After 130 years, GILLIG holds strong to its family values and focus on its employees and customers. Our motivated and dedicated employees have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction.
We are committed to building buses that connect communities, eliminate congestion, and contribute to a greener environment.
Our Company pride is exemplified by the thoughtful design and quality craftsmanship present in every GILLIG bus. GILLIG’s steadfast focus on quality and unwavering commitment to exceptional customer service sets us apart from our competition.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, GILLIG has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards in which the company operates. Drug abuse poses a threat to the health and safety of GILLIG employees and to the security of the company's equipment and facilities.
For these reasons, GILLIG is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace. All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work.
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique 401k profit-sharing plan.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.