About Giant Machines
Giant Machines is a software engineering company in New York City that builds new products for our clients utilizing creative engineering, strategic product thinking, and a shoulder-to-shoulder, collaborative approach. We have a proven record of success, building innovative and ambitious products for our clients at a speed and scale atypical for the industry. Our client projects range from helping early-stage startups build a first POC to launching impactful enterprise applications across industries including financial services, healthcare, airlines, eCommerce, and more.
About the role
We’re looking for a DevOps engineer to help build our DevOps culture by engaging best practices in tools and processes across our organization. This role requires working with our clients to determine the best strategies for deploying applications quickly, securely, and successfully, as well as providing mentorship and leadership to facilitate continued adoption and implementation of these strategies across the team.
Giant Machines’ approach to building products is user-focused, design-forward. Our applications are as thoughtful in architecture as they are in user experience; well documented; and performant. The projects we work on range from finance apps, consumer portals, airline systems to startups and support many different types of users, including traders, business analysts, C-suite executives, and the general public.
Because we work on such a variety of projects, this role will allow you to help develop a wide array of DevOps practices and guidelines using the most bleeding edge technologies, architectures, and strategies. In practice this includes helping to maintain a cohesive DevOps playbook across all of our teams and projects, working with engineers to arrive at viable solutions, and presenting plans to our client’s teams.
While working with us, you'll collaborate with highly skilled, passionate, and thoughtful designers and developers. Our management team values and respects our team and recognizes that Giant Machines’ people are it’s most valuable assets.
What you’ll do
- Provide thought leadership and mentorship to spread a DevOps culture
- Lead the charge in building a set of adaptive, context-aware DevOps strategies for using tools and processes to deliver highly reliable products
- Apply cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP) computing skills to deploy new applications and update existing applications
- Collaborate with engineering as they architect and build full stack applications to ensure that they are lead but highly scalable and maintainable
- Design, develop, and implement software integrations based on project priorities
- Troubleshoot production issues and coordinate with the development team to streamline code deployment
- Implement automation tools and frameworks (CI/CD pipelines)
- Analyze code and communicate detailed reviews to development teams to ensure a marked improvement in applications and the timely completion of projects
- Collaborate with team members to improve the company’s engineering tools, systems and procedures, and data security
- Optimize the company’s computing architecture
- Conduct systems tests for security, performance, and availability
- Develop and maintain design and troubleshooting documentation
What we seek in a candidate
- 3+ years experience as a DevOps Engineer or equivalent software-engineering role
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Strong facility with containerization and orchestration (Docker, K8S)
- Strong facility with automation tools (Ansible, Terraform, etc.)
- Expertise in software development methodologies (Agile, Lean, etc.)
- Experience in network, server, and application-status monitoring
- A working knowledge of databases and SQL
- A problem-solving attitude
- Can work independently and as part of a team