At Ghost, our mission is to make self-driving for everyone. We build autonomous driving software for automakers, based on a breakthrough in artificial intelligence that finally makes highway autonomy safe and scalable for the consumer car market.
Ghost helps automakers reimagine the car of the future with a complete autonomy solution that can be fully customized and continuously upgraded, delivering a car that keeps getting better year after year.
At Ghost, we are responsible for both invention and productization – not only solving complex problems with novel technology but making sure that it can scale to millions of drivers on the road. It’s a bold undertaking, but one that makes for constant learning, real-world impact, and fulfilling work. Together, we are a small, multi-disciplinary team tackling one of the hardest challenges in technology today.
Ghost was founded in 2017 by John Hayes and Volkmar Uhlig. Before Ghost, John co-founded Pure Storage, taking the company public in 2015.
Ghost has 150 employees across its headquarters in Mountain View and additional offices in Dallas and Sydney. Ghost has raised $165 million from investors including Mike Speiser at Sutter Hill Ventures, Keith Rabois at Founders Fund, and Vinod Khosla at Khosla Ventures.
Learn more at https://ghostautonomy.com.
What you will do:
- Design and develop world-class radar hardware that minimizes development time and is on schedule, including all aspects of mechanical design
- Work with the Ghost radar team to design, build and test electronic assemblies, heat sinks and mechanical parts, assemblies and test equipment:
- Design: Contribute to the mechanical packaging and design of the electronics, heatsink, antenna and housing assembly. Perform thermal, structural and dynamic analysis of the assembly
- Manufacturing: Work with contract manufacturers and other vendors to bring the design into reality
- Engineering Test: Develop test fixtures and special test equipment to support testing on the bench, inside test chambers, and on vehicles. Relevant test environments will include high and low temperature, and external vehicle conditions
- Compliance Test: Execute environmental testing and qualification including any failure and root cause analysis
- Lead design reviews with partners, troubleshoot issues to successful conclusion, ramp up custom mechanical parts/systems for mass production, audit and improve FATP fixtures and SOP, support FATP for all builds and into mass production, and support/solve issues raised by the installation team
- Document parts and assemblies with 2D drawings, BOM, SOP, and SIP to support fabrication and assembly
- Ensure all parts meet regulatory, environmental, safety, reliability, and cosmetic quality control requirements
- Develop reliability plans and drive its execution to meet industry standards
- Collaborate with cross-functional team to ensure system and device goals and requirements are met
- Effectively address DFx feedback and integrate into designs
- Experience in product design or engineering modeling/simulation for consumer electronics or transportation applications
- 3+ years of experience in modeling/simulation/validation with PhD; 7+ years of relevant experience if BSME
- 3D CAD experience, with top-down design using Creo preferred
- Experience with thermal management and environmental design and test of electronic assemblies
- High degree of drive, creativity, and attention to detail
- Familiarity with medium and high-volume manufacturing processes
Nice to haves:
- CAE in structural, dynamic, and thermal electric simulation, ANSYS preferred
- Experience troubleshooting product quality/performance issues with overseas custom parts manufacturers
- Familiarity with ECAD/MCAD flow of designs to facilitate integrated hardware team design environment
- Familiarity with automotive standards and design practices
- Experience with mechanical design of high frequency RF components and assemblies
- Experience with design and fabrication of plastic injection molded parts
- Expertise in design for reliability
- Medical, Vision and Dental coverage (PPO, HMO, and HSA options available; 100% premium coverage of several PPO and HMO plans for employees and their dependents)
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible Medical and Dependent Care Plans
- Life Insurance
Ghost is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally‑recognized basis [“protected class”] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability or any other protected class under federal, state or local law.