At Ghost, our mission is to make self-driving for everyone. We build autonomous driving software for automakers, based on a breakthrough in artificial intelligence that finally makes highway autonomy safe and scalable for the consumer car market.
Ghost helps automakers reimagine the car of the future with a complete autonomy solution that can be fully customized and continuously upgraded, delivering a car that keeps getting better year after year.
At Ghost, we are responsible for both invention and productization – not only solving complex problems with novel technology but making sure that it can scale to millions of drivers on the road. It’s a bold undertaking, but one that makes for constant learning, real-world impact, and fulfilling work. Together, we are a small, multi-disciplinary team tackling one of the hardest challenges in technology today.
Ghost was founded in 2017 by John Hayes and Volkmar Uhlig. Before Ghost, John co-founded Pure Storage, taking the company public in 2015.
Ghost has 150 employees across its headquarters in Mountain View and additional offices in Dallas and Sydney. Ghost has raised $165 million from investors including Mike Speiser at Sutter Hill Ventures, Keith Rabois at Founders Fund, and Vinod Khosla at Khosla Ventures.
Learn more at https://ghostautonomy.com.
We’re looking to add Individual Contributors, Tech Leads, and Managers to our 50+ person core software team. These talented engineers will fuel our progress solving the most challenging technical problem of the past two decades: true self-driving.
Software is at the center of our solution and we’re looking for people whose curiosity and passion are matched by their desire to get things done and make an impact as we make our vision a reality.
The broad spectrum of work ranges from low level platform bring up to building pipelines for analyzing big data; engineers are matched with specific teams and projects based on their demonstrated strengths and interests.
What you will do:
- Design software that runs on embedded systems in autonomous vehicles and in data centers such as:
- Fault-tolerant distributed runtime systems for co-ordination and execution of parts of autonomous driving system
- Domain-specific language for expressing aspects of the driving system
- Distributed database systems for processing, querying, analyzing, and engineering/validating models based on recorded video and vehicle sensor data
- Execute mission-critical systems engineering work including, but not limited to: autonomous driving runtime, operating systems, embedded systems, large-scale distributed databases, model training systems, performance optimization, and software/hardware system architecture
- (For Tech Leads and Managers) Oversee significant cross-functional efforts while collaborating with other senior leaders across Ghost
- (For Tech Leads and Managers) Supervise project planning and execution for a team while keeping people motivated and engaged
- (For Managers) Spearhead recruitment, people development, and retention of team members
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or related field
- 8+ years of software development experience
- Core competency in general software engineer practice
- (For Tech Leads and Managers) Experience leading teams to successfully complete complex software projects
- (For Managers) 3+ years of direct people management experience
Nice to haves:
- Experience in low level platform bring-up, device drivers, and embedded operating systems
- History of building efficient protocols for secure data transfer
- Knowledge in handling big data using tools such as Apache Spark
- Expertise with compliers and operating systems
- Medical, Vision and Dental coverage (PPO, HMO, and HSA options available; 100% premium coverage of several PPO and HMO plans for employees and their dependents)
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible Medical and Dependent Care Plans
- Life Insurance
Ghost is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally‑recognized basis [“protected class”] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability or any other protected class under federal, state or local law.