Currently, we are conducting all of our interviews over video. We have a voluntary return to office policy until July 6th. After July 6th, our employee population will be required to go to the office an average of 1 day a week until Labor Day. After Labor Day, we will have a regular cadence of being in the office. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please reach out to email@example.com.
Global Atlantic Financial Group is a leader in the U.S. life insurance and annuity industry, serving the needs of individuals and institutions. With differentiated investment and risk management capabilities, deep client relationships, and a strong financial foundation, the company has established a track record of delivering proven, value-added solutions and long-term growth. Global Atlantic is a majority-owned subsidiary of KKR, a leading global investment firm that offers asset management and capital markets solutions across multiple strategies.
Global Atlantic is looking for a diverse team of talented individuals who reinforce our culture of collaboration and innovation. We are dedicated to the career development of our people because we know they are critical to our long-term success. Join our team and come grow with us.
*This position can be 100% remote or nearby one of our offices.
The Chief Medical Director will join the Global Atlantic Life and Annuity Operations team to develop and maintain the company’s medical underwriting guidelines and support our underwriting modernization strategy by leveraging advances in medical science and technology to enhance the customer purchase experience while delivering a favorable financial result for the company. This position reports to the Chief Underwriter and is a remote position. Key responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for enhancing and maintaining the medical content of the underwriting guidelines
- Supporting the Chief Underwriter on underwriting strategy that supports service-model changes to enhance the customer experience:
- Ensure the achievement of growth, continue profitability and operational efficiencies of the business through the assessment of advances in medical science and technology, new innovative opportunities, risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging medical underwriting issues
- Proactively monitor external market, develop, and share a point of view regarding medical advances and innovation opportunities
- Reviews medical underwriting cases utilizing statistical methodology to interpret and analyze provided information and determine an overall mortality assessment
- Provides medical consultations on new application and claims cases, interprets EKGs, lab results and other diagnostic test results
- Leads discussions with attending physicians regarding applicant’s medical history and examination results
- Responsible for working with the Chief Underwriter and Associate Chief Underwriters to enhance and maintain the medical content of Global Atlantic’s Underwriting guidelines. Must be able to translate complex medical research into underwriting guidelines
- Proactively monitor and review advances in medical science and translating its applicability to insurance medicine, conducting research, leveraging data and analytics, drawing conclusions, and making recommendations for underwriting changes
- Work closely with Chief Underwriter and leaders across the company including Senior Leadership, Operations, Sales, and Product to develop the company’s philosophy and approach on strategic initiatives
- Act as main liaison with reinsurance medical directors
- Facilitates recording and reporting of confidential medical information including handling of sensitive customer communications
- Support Chief Underwriter and Associate Chief Underwriters on selection, implementation and maintenance of automated underwriting solution as it relates to medical rules and use of alternative data sources
- Utilize data analytics to identify medical underwriting trends to improve straight-through processing and underwriting outcomes consistent with Global Atlantic’s underwriting philosophy
- Maintain industry presence by involvement in industry insurance medical associations (AAIM); develop and maintain networks and relationships with internal and external partners.
- Keep informed of developing medical/technical advancements, and stay aware of industry rules and regulations that may impact medical underwriting
- Designs and delivers medical training to the underwriting team and provides ongoing education to internal and external partners including field personnel
- Graduate of accredited Medical School with MD or DO required
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience in insurance medicine
- Board certified (or board eligible) in insurance medicine
- Fellowship Life Office Management (FLMI) and Fellowship Academy of Life Underwriting (FALU) preferred
- Ability to read, interpret and analyze attending physician statements, EKGs and stress tests
- Ability to apply biostatistics methodology, summarization, analysis of data and interpretation of their results
- Strong mathematical acumen and the ability to research and apply findings to underwriting and product pricing
- Strong sense of curiosity to investigate, research and comprehend new data and technology
- Experience working with advanced underwriting technologies including alternative medical data and automated underwriting solutions preferred
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Strong communication skills, work ethic and high level of personal integrity and accountability
- Ability to travel up to 30%, and to work remotely otherwise
TOTAL REWARDS STATEMENT
Global Atlantic’s total rewards package is reflective of our corporate values, particularly diversity, excellence and innovation, with a focus on inclusion, pay equity, and flexibility. We are proud to support your personal and professional growth and well-being through programs such as educational assistance, virtual physical therapy, remote/onsite fitness reimbursement, a medical second opinion program, pet insurance, military leave, parental leave, adoption assistance, fertility and family planning coverage. We strive to foster a culture of total well-being through community outreach and charitable giving programs.
We are active in our communities-
- New York: Red Hook Conservancy, Girls Who Invest and The Bowery Mission
- Boston: Cradles to Crayons, Project Bread, Let’s Get Ready, Rise Against Hunger, Salvation Army and many other local volunteer organizations in around the Boston area
- Hartford: Habitat for Humanity, Foodshare, Humane Society, Hands on Hartford, Mercy Shelter and Dog Star Rescue
- Indianapolis: Elevate Indianapolis, Gleaners Food Bank and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Batesville: American Cancer Society Relay for Life, Angels of Giving, Margaret Mary Health Foundation, Ripley County Community Foundation, Safe Passage, Batesville High School Sponsorships, local area youth sports and food pantries, as well as many others
- Des Moines: United Way, Central Iowa Shelter & Services, Junior Achievement of Central Iowa and Make a Wish Foundation
- Berwyn: Food drive and will be planning an event to help a local family over the holidays
- Atlanta: Packaged Good Organization, which helps the most vulnerable community members with providing personalized care packages for people in need including the elderly, our armed forces, the homeless and hospitalized kids
- Bermuda: Sponsor of a weekly feeding program operated by The Hamilton Seventh-Day Adventist Church
Social platforms provide an environment to collaborate with others and participate in friendly competitions towards achieving physical, emotional and financial well-being. Our highly competitive health, retirement, life and disability plans can be tailored to best suit your needs and those of your whole family.
Global Atlantic is committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can meaningfully contribute to our success. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate in employment on any basis that is prohibited by federal, state or local laws. More than that, we strive to be inclusive of all backgrounds and experiences, which we feel gives us a competitive advantage in the market and within our firm. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.