Getro is looking for a Lead Backend Engineer to form part of its core team (first 20 employees). This is a career-defining opportunity to lead the development and scaling of our backend systems, from hundreds of customers to thousands and from millions of data points to billions, as we move to Series A and beyond.
You, as a person:
- You seek out simplicity in code, processes, and products
- You practice extreme ownership and are highly driven
- You are detail oriented
- You are product and business minded, and comfortable making difficult tradeoffs
- You are a proactive communicator and team player
- You are motivated to build a high performing team
- You care that your colleagues feel safe, supported and valued
- You want to help bring about a positive change in society
You, as an expert:
- Have at least 7 years professional experience in backend engineering
- You’ve worked in at least one startup
- Are an expert in schema design, data pipeline and re-architecting for scale (bonus points for full text search technology e.g. Algolia or Elasticsearch, data aggregation or ML pipelines)
- Are comfortable working with Ruby and have knowledge of the RoR ecosystem (bonus points for experience with other programming languages or frameworks)
- Have experience managing infrastructure (but you don’t need to be an expert in it)
- Communicate clearly in both English and in code
- Have some leadership experience (bonus points for experience with scaling teams)
- 100% remote, 100% flexible
- Salary: $100k - $133k (depending on location)
- Why the range? We're open to different levels of experience for this role, but still wanted to publish a salary range to make sure we're not wasting your time
- Generous employee stock options with an attractive strike price
- Unlimited vacation
- Unique culture: Humans first, unicorn dreams second
- Healthcare & coworking allowance
- Leadership impact in the product / business as one of the first 20 employees vs. cog in the machine
At Getro you will:
- Set the technical direction for our backend architecture, ensuring others understand and buy into your vision.
- Be a key player in building an engineering culture to be proud of, introducing best practices and helping others maintain a high bar of excellence.
- Write well-formulated, well-tested and readable code.
- Help us to hire high quality candidates, and mentor other developers through code reviews and proactive feedback.
- Work with PMs and senior members of the org to help direct team-level priorities.
Getro is on a mission to become the platform of choice for making and receiving professional introductions by combining technology and empathy.
That’s nice, what do you do, though?
We have two products:
- GetroJobs, which automatically aggregates open jobs across a network of companies and;
- GetroNetwork, which allows talent (active and passive searchers) and companies to find one another, facilitating introductions and referrals within networks.
Together our products provide all of the quality that comes from a referral vs hundreds of faceless Linkedin profiles, with a UX that is built for employers, not recruiters, and doing away with all of the emailing, calls, and reminders that usually go into a referral request.
Our customers include over 400 independent professional networks — like venture capital funds (Union Square Ventures), accelerators (TechStars), membership communities (Women 2.0), government associations (Techleap.nl), universities (University of Toronto), and more. They use our software to make better introductions for their community members, measure the outcomes of their intros, and in some cases, make money.
Getro’s secret sauce
- Strong financials: $2M+ in revenue, $4M+ in seed financing to grow
- 430 paying customers
- Experts in the space: Our co-founders have been working together in the recruiting space for the last 10 years
- Remote-first company, from 2018 (before it was cool)
- 16 team members across 7 countries
- Techstars 2017 graduates
- Our values are our north star; check out Getro.org (a network we set up in 2020 to help people get back to work after COVID-19)
- As a fully remote company, we don't have offices, but we do get together virtually and in person for company summits (before the pandemic: Germany, Cape Town, San Francisco...)
How we work
We're ambitious, but realistic - we know anything worth doing takes time. We trust each member of our team to work when they wish, and from a location they choose. We believe in working smarter, not harder - we don't value presentee-ism and we're not impressed by long working hours. Above all, we value the contribution of each individual and take seriously our responsibility to enable you to work on things you love. These aren't just words - they're part of everything we do, including how we design our products.