Built is a growth-stage company at the intersection of FinTech and PropTech. We are on a mission to change the way the world gets built with technology and services that streamline the $1.4T U.S. construction industry.
Built’s platform for the construction finance industry modernizes the movement of money between all stakeholders within the construction and real estate process to manage risk and maximize productivity. Built provides software, payments, B2B marketplace, and data solutions to more than 190 of the top financial institutions and hundreds of contractors throughout North America.
In addition to our recent $125M Series D funding and $1.5B valuation, we’re proud to have been named one of Forbes’ Best Startup Employers in America and one of The Tennessean’s 2022 Top Workplaces. Bringing on the “best talent in the world” is at the forefront of our continued growth trajectory—and we want you to be part of it.
Built Technologies is looking for a Staff Software Engineer who aspires to remain technical and be a technical leader with a strong inclination to mentor and invest in the professional growth of others around them. We are excited to welcome the right candidate to our Built for Contractors team. This high-growth division of Built Technologies is focused on bringing multiple new products to market over the next year, with a focus on third-party integrations to make our products an indispensable part of our customers’ workflows. The Built for Contractors division is akin to a startup within Built, iterating quickly and building new organizational capabilities. We're looking for a candidate that can hit the ground running and make an immediate impact on our team and organization. Staff Engineers at Built are the individual contributor, technical leader counterparts to Engineering Managers, and often work with a “home base” team, but are expected to have influence across the organization and are provided agency to lean into difficult problems.
Staff Engineers at Built:
- Maximize their leverage, making the most of their skills across organizational boundaries.
- Level up other engineers through direct mentorship, creating and upholding architectural standards, and building internal tools and processes.
- Manage larger refactors, and/or system upgrades, help others to do the same or participate.
- Work with Product and Design partners to define efforts and deliver value for our customers. Estimate work across teams and departments.
- Drive and enable cross-team collaboration where necessary to address business goals.
- Create and maintain internal documentation for the purpose and structure of the systems they're working on. Carefully document processes that aren’t clear.
- Drive execution plans for features and system improvements.
- Coordinate efforts across the team rather than working in a silo. Make sure that people feel included in varying projects, and that their voices are heard.
- Proactively communicate issues and address necessary trade-offs. Take ownership of issues.
- Ability and desire to span multiple technical disciplines (backend services, APIs, front-ends, Infrastructure, Databases, System Arch)
- Experience with modern cloud platform(s) (preferably AWS)
- Strong software engineering skills including the use of a modern development workflow. Understands linting, debugging, Git, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Deep experience with at least one modern language such as Typescript or Python.
- Knowledge of computer science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis.
- Track record of success delivering n-tier product solutions.
- Track record of success enabling engineering teams and business outcomes.
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Direct hands-on experience with AWS technologies (EKS, Lambda, DMS, Dynamo, API gateway, Step Functions, Cognito, Cloudfront, S3, etc.)
- FinTech, PropTech or Construction related industry experience
Experience leading & training teams in at least one of the following:
- Best practices for microservices development using Python (FastAPI) or Node (NestJS), GraphQL
- Best practices for front-end technologies (React, Redux, Single-Spa, VueJs, Microfrontends)
- Best practices for open-source standards like - Schema Driven Design, Open API spec, Swagger Codegen, Semantic Versioning, Shared component & utility modules
- Best practices for infrastructure & infrastructure as code tools & frameworks - Kubernetes, Terraform, Pulumi, CDK, CloudFormation, SAM, Serverless Framework
- Best practices for service-oriented architecture, platform teams, and shared services
Built’s salary range for this position is $145,000 - $210,000 USD per year. The pay range is designed to accommodate upward mobility in the role, therefore it encompasses the full span of proficiency levels for this role and we believe that the midpoint of the range is competitive in the market. Salary is just one component of Built's total compensation package for employees. Your total rewards package at Built will include equity, variable compensation, top-notch medical, dental and vision coverage, an unlimited PTO policy, and other benefits.
- The rare opportunity to radically disrupt an industry
- Competitive benefits including: uncapped vacation, health, dental & vision insurance, and 401k
- Robust compensation package including base salary, quarterly bonus, and equity
- Flexible working hours, paid family leave, ERGs & Mentorship opportunities
- Learning grant program to support ongoing professional development
Our company is made up of passionate people who are driven in a variety of disciplines—and each of them brings their unique perspective to everything they do. Creating a safe and inclusive workplace is critical to the success of our company and of our employees, so it’s our aim to recruit, hire and promote without bias against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law. As we learn and as we grow, we’re committed to ensuring that these ideals are at the forefront of everything we do.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Built Technologies (“Controller”). Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for current or future employment. You have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability.
If you would like to contact Controller to ask questions surrounding processing of your personal data or to make a request, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For California residents: Please note that Controller does not sell your personal data or share it with third parties outside of Greenhouse Software, Inc.