Genius is searching for a Freelance Weekend Social Editor to create content for our Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram accounts on Saturdays and Sundays (expect to work a maximum of 16 hours/weekend, depending on news cycle). We’re looking for the type of music obsessive who knows there’s a hyphen in Wu-Tang Clan, but also knows which way an apostrophe should be facing when referring to 1989 as ‘89.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Travis Scott, Billie Eilish, and Ariana Grande—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Coordinating with our weekend news writer to publish new articles on weekends
- Crafting ~15 posts on our Facebook page per day on weekends
- Crafting ~20 posts on our Twitter account per day on weekends
- Crafting 10-15 posts on our Instagram account per day on weekends
- Posts would include: Promoting new editorial posts and videos from Genius, scheduling the resocializing of older Genius content, creating content around music and album anniversaries, and coverage of new releases and events like award shows, live broadcasts, festivals, etc.
- 1-2 years experience running a social account
- Proficiency in social publishing software (specifically SocialFlow and Creator Studio)
- Acute attention to detail
- Fluent in the culture of social media
- Deep knowledge of and passion for a wide variety of music genres, with a focus on hip-hop
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
- A Genius account and active participation in the knowledge project (if you don’t already have one, sign up!)
- An active personal social media presence
Applicants should send resume, any examples of previous social media work, and links to their personal social media accounts when applying. In addition, applicants should write one tweet and one Facebook post for any Genius article from the past week as an example.