Genius is looking for an Associate Product Manager to work closely with our Product Manager, CTO, and team of engineers to improve and manage product development at Genius. The Associate Product Manager will be responsible for managing the tech builds for all relevant branded content executions, including brainstorming and costing during the pre-sales phase, sourcing and managing external product design and engineering vendors, negotiating timelines, and reviewing and approving product designs and builds prior to release. They will also manage select proactive projects at Genius to outline and negotiate product requirements, prioritize and assign engineering tasks, review and approve features before they are released, communicate and coordinate with internal stakeholders, and define and evaluate product success.
The best candidates will have some experience working on large-scale B2C applications and/or have a background in managing tech-focused branded content executions in a media environment. They will also be capable communicators, comfortable dealing with and adapting to ambiguity, and have experience working directly with engineers to manage multiple work streams and problem solve by compromising user and business needs with technical limitations.
As the largest global database of lyrics and artist-focused content, Genius’s mission is to celebrate More Than The Music—the lyrics, the stories behind the songs, and the creative connections that meaningfully drive culture.
Through our original content, technology, and live & virtual experiences, Genius spotlights the artists who are shaping music culture across every genre and musical discipline, sharing the stories behind their creativity and craft in their own words with over 105M+ people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
- Manage the execution of tech builds for all relevant branded content projects, including pre-sales consultation and working with external product design and engineering vendors
- Work with Product Manager, CTO, and cross-functional stakeholders to plan and prioritize new projects and features, and develop product requirements
- Manage development sprints, working directly with engineers along the way to resolve product ambiguity and approve features before they are released
- Define and evaluate product success using analytics tools, user testing, and direct communication with users where appropriate
- 1-2 years product management experience
- Experience directly managing multiple concurrent engineering work streams
- At least 1 year experience managing tech builds at a media publisher or tech agency
- Experience working at a large-scale B2C company
What You Could Work On:
- Genius Live is a unique live video platform focused on connecting the audience directly to the show. The first show, a concert with Wiz Khalifa, drew 80k viewers and allowed the audience to control the show by voting on the set list, requesting shoutouts, asking questions, and joining the show itself by dancing on stage with the artist.
- In the next 6 months we will be focusing on adding additional interactive features, improving our admin tools to make it simpler to run a show, and building tools to allow artists to interact directly with fans in chat and the virtual watch party
Song Page Redesign
- The Genius “Song Page”, displaying lyrics, annotations, and metadata about every song in existence, is the cornerstone of Genius: 80% of our traffic and activity, tens of millions of users monthly, happens on that page alone.
- We are in the process of executing a long-overdue ground-up redesign, and replacing our aging Angular front-end with React.
Genius Home Studio
- Genius Home Studio is a web-based digital audio workstation and education suite, making audio production accessible to the masses
- In the next 6 months we will be focusing on making it possible to, and teaching aspiring artists how to, create a complete song from start to finish
Lyric and knowledge integrations
- Genius has worked with our world-class community of volunteer editors to build the canonical source for music knowledge on the internet. Genius lyrics are unrivaled: all relevant new music is transcribed by our community within an hour of release, and our music-obsessed community deciphers even the most complex of lyrical mysteries and mondegreens. We have partnered with some of the biggest companies in the world, like Apple and Spotify, to deliver Genius knowledge and metadata.
- In the next 6 months, we will build additional data pipelines and APIs as part of partnerships with our existing and new partners.
Immersive editorial and custom microsites
- Genius’s position in the music space, as well as the wealth of data we have on music history and trends, make us the ideal storytelling partner for brands to collaborate with when they want to reach music fans.
- We’re constantly working with our marketing and branded content teams to build microsites like Lyric Reels, Collective Sounds, Music IQ, Studio Sessions, and A Lyrical History of the Block Party.
- With 100 million monthly visitors, millions of songs and annotations, and thousands of users collaborating to transcribe and annotate new music in real time, Genius has its fair share of scaling challenges.
- As the site grows and new problems arise, we work on identifying performance issues proactively, and designing and implementing solutions alongside our other projects.
Genius is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building an inclusive and multicultural environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We're an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.