Genius is looking for a Director of Engineering to report directly to the CTO and manage and grow our 8-person engineering team, define and coordinate weekly deliverables, set timelines, and coordinate with internal stakeholders. With a roadmap that includes improving Genius Live, our virtual interactive live concert platform, a large site redesign including a front-end react rewrite, and creating innovative music experiences like Genius Home Studio, our plans for 2021 are ambitious. We’re looking for a manager who has experience organizing an engineering team to quickly iterate on and scale software used by millions of users every day.
The best candidates will have worked in the past on large-scale B2C applications built on a Rails stack or similar, be comfortable dealing with ambiguity, be able to create and administer new processes, and have enough hands-on engineering experience to define technical tasks and evaluate their team’s performance.
Genius celebrates More Than The Music—the lyrics, the stories behind the songs, and the creative connections that meaningfully drive culture.
We champion curiosity and believe that everyone has music knowledge to share: insights, intel, and musings that make us more informed, engaged music lovers.
Through our original content, technology, and live & virtual experiences, Genius spotlights the artists who are shaping music culture across every genre and musical discipline, sharing the stories behind their creativity and craft in their own words.
With more than 100 million global users, 2 million contributors, and 9 million YouTube subscribers, Genius is the world's biggest music encyclopedia—a destination for artists, creatives, and superfans to discuss and deconstruct all things music.
- Report directly to the CTO, managing a team of web and mobile engineers with broad responsibilities across multiple products and technologies
- Organize and manage engineering work, enabling your team to work productively via weekly planning meetings, standups, daily check-ins, and ad-hoc discussions
- Grow and develop the team, making a few key hires in your first 6 months
- Understand engineering tasks well enough to hold your own in technical discussions, resolve disputes, and develop engineers
- Coordinate work with other internal teams, setting deadlines for deliverables and communicating proactively when timelines or requirements change
- 1-2 years experience managing software engineers, including people management, project management, recruiting, and career development
- Past experience as a Software Engineer, ideally on a large-scale web product
- Experience working at a large-scale B2C company
- Experience working with Rails
- 3-4 years experience managing software engineers