Genius is looking for an Assistant Controller to help manage the day-to-day accounting operations within our Finance department. We are a fast-paced, growing organization and we need someone meticulous, driven, organized and flexible to join our team. This role will report directly to our Director of Finance and will work with them closely on daily bookkeeping, month-end close, revenue recognition, reporting and FP&A. This role is ideal for someone with a strong background in accounting looking to take on additional responsibilities with the potential for future growth within the department.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Travis Scott, Billie Eilish, and Ariana Grande—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Directly manage day-to-day revenue function of the company, including margin analysis, AR bookkeeping, revenue forecasting and recognition, commission and all other COGS calculations, etc.
- Assist with all other accounting operations, including A/P, month end closes, annual audits, budgeting, etc.
- Assist with the creation, implementation and administration of company financial policies
- Assist with ad hoc reporting, FP&A, and quarterly board meetings
- Work closely with the CFO and Director of Finance on special projects
- 3-5 years experience working in the Accounting or Finance Department at a start-up or similar environment
- BS/BA in accounting, finance or business administration; CPA or CMA preferred (certification candidates welcome)
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple projects at once
- Capable of handling confidential information with discretion and sensitivity
- Excellent accounting software user and administration skills
- Experience with QuickBooks preferred, bill.com or Tallie experience a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and G Suite