Genius is looking for a remote Full Stack Engineer to help build the ultimate music companion, enabling fans to collaboratively transcribe lyrics and write annotations that live on Genius.com and everywhere people experience music. We’re looking for makers with a sophisticated code sense: folks who’ve built cool things, but who can also maintain and scale those things, and who feel at home deep in the guts of a library.
As the largest global database of lyrics and artist-focused content, Genius’s mission is to celebrate More Than The Music—the lyrics, the stories behind the songs, and the creative connections that meaningfully drive culture.
Through our original content, technology, and live & virtual experiences, Genius spotlights the artists who are shaping music culture across every genre and musical discipline, sharing the stories behind their creativity and craft in their own words with over 105M+ people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
- Build and maintain web application features, working with a Rails backend and Angular frontend
- Proactively identify and fix infrastructure bottlenecks to scale backend services to tens of thousands of requests per minute
- Develop the APIs that our Android and iPhone apps and web frontend consume
- Work with product design team to build rich, intuitive user experiences in the browser
- Architect database query patterns and migrations that scale to large tables with 50M+ rows
- Take ownership of features at a product as well as a technical level, working closely with other engineers, designers, and colleagues across the company to define feature specifications
- Join on-call rotation to respond to urgent bugs or outages
- At least 2 years professional web development experience
- Significant experience with Ruby on Rails or another web framework (Express, Django, Play, Flask, etc)
- Experience with at least one front end framework: Angular, Ember, React, or similar
- Experience working with relational databases and writing SQL queries
- 2 years Rails development
- 1 years experience with Angular or React
- 1 years experience with PostgreSQL/MySQL
What you could work on
- Genius Live is a unique live video platform focused on connecting the audience directly to the show. The first show, a concert with Wiz Khalifa, drew 80k viewers and allowed the audience to control the show by voting on the set list, requesting shoutouts, asking questions, and joining the show itself by dancing on stage with the artist.
- In the next 6 months we will be focusing on adding additional interactive features, improving our admin tools to make it simpler to run a show, and building tools to allow artists to interact directly with fans in chat and the virtual watch party
Genius Home Studio
- Genius Home Studio is a web-based digital audio workstation and education suite, making audio production accessible to the masses
- In the next 6 months we will be focusing on making it possible to, and teaching aspiring artists how to, create a complete song from start to finish
Lyric and knowledge integrations
- Genius has worked with our world-class community of volunteer editors to build the canonical source for music knowledge on the internet. Genius lyrics are unrivaled: all relevant new music is transcribed by our community within an hour of release, and our music-obsessed community deciphers even the most complex of lyrical mysteries and mondegreens. We have partnered with some of the biggest companies in the world, like Apple and Spotify, to deliver Genius knowledge and metadata.
- In the next 6 months, we will build additional data pipelines and APIs as part of partnerships with our existing and new partners.
Song Page Redesign
- The Genius “Song Page”, displaying lyrics, annotations, and metadata about every song in existence, is the cornerstone of Genius: 80% of our traffic and activity, tens of millions of users monthly, happens on that page alone.
- We are in the process of executing a long-overdue ground-up redesign, and replacing our aging Angular front-end with React.
Immersive editorial and custom microsites
- Genius’s position in the music space, as well as the wealth of data we have on music history and trends, make us the ideal storytelling partner for brands to collaborate with when they want to reach music fans.
- We’re constantly working with our marketing and branded content teams to build microsites like Music IQ, Studio Sessions, and A Lyrical History of the Block Party.
- With 100 million monthly visitors, millions of songs and annotations, and thousands of users collaborating to transcribe and annotate new music in real time, Genius has its fair share of scaling challenges.
- As the site grows and new problems arise, we work on identifying performance issues proactively, and designing and implementing solutions alongside our other projects.
Genius is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are building an inclusive and multicultural environment, so we encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We're an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.