Genius is hiring its first Director of Development to lead our efforts to bring the Genius voice to TV and SVOD platforms.
This role will be based out of Genius HQ in Brooklyn, NY (though an LA/NYC split is possible) and reports to the Chief Strategy Officer.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Work with Genius’s creative team to develop unscripted and scripted formats consistent with Genius’s audience and voice
- Collaborate with marketing team to create all marketing materials necessary for pitches (e.g. production budgets, treatments, decks, sizzles, etc.)
- Evaluate and secure partners, potentially including directors, showrunners, talent, and co-production companies
- Manage Genius’s relationships with talent agencies
- Identify target buyers and secure pitch meetings
- Pitch and sell ideas in collaboration with Genius’s content leadership team and partners
- Minimum 3-5 years experience developing and selling unscripted formats for TV/SVOD and/or documentary film including creating necessary marketing materials (treatments, decks, sizzles, etc.)
- Extensive industry relationships — a proven ability to secure meetings with relevant decision makers
- Experience compiling production budgets and negotiating production agreements
- Strong problem-solving skills and an analytical orientation
- Superior communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Passion for and knowledge of music culture, especially hip-hop and pop music