Genius is hiring a Director of People to own the complete strategy and execution of the end-to-end employee experience at a fast-growing company.
This role will be based out of Genius HQ in Brooklyn, NY and reports to the CEO.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Oversee development, execution, and delivery of the company-wide people strategy at a 100 person startup
- Serve as a member of the executive team and provide input on major company initiatives
- Provide consistent counsel and coaching on a variety of interpersonal matters
- Refine and execute compensation planning and employee benefits strategy
- Lead the People Team to improve and streamline employee lifecycle processes including recruiting, onboarding, performance management, termination, and ongoing employee training initiatives
- Drive diversity, inclusion, and people culture initiatives in a multicultural environment
- Oversee the management and improvement of our HR systems and processes to enable organizational scale, optimize the employee experience, and minimize HR risk
- Own—in collaboration with the Legal department and outside counsel—all employee-related legal and compliance issues including managing risk surrounding terminations
- 7-10 years of HR experience in a talent-driven organization; 3+ years in a senior position at a fast-growing company
- Track record of success leading company-changing people-related initiatives
- Broad familiarity with HR best practices, legal, compliance, and employment law
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local employment, wage and salary laws and regulations
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to comfortably handle difficult conversations and dispute resolution
- Experience with legal and compliance issues
- High degree of comfort working with and influencing other executives
- Superior communication, writing, and interpersonal skills