Genius is searching for a Freelance News Writer to write posts on Thursday and Fridays to cover new releases. We’re looking for the type of music obsessive who has news writing experience. Someone who knows there’s a hyphen in Wu-Tang Clan but also knows which way an apostrophe should be facing when referring to 1989 as ’89.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Coordinate directly with our in-house editorial and social staff to publish content around music news
- Coordinate regularly with our weekend news writer
- Write roughly 3-5 news posts a day
- 1 year experience writing news, preferably music news
- Deep knowledge in and passion for a wide variety of music genres, particularly pop music and hip-hop
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment and a strong attention to detail
- A Genius account and active participation in the knowledge project (if you don’t already have one, sign up!)