Genius is looking for a Director of Engineering to manage and grow our engineering team, define and coordinate weekly deliverables, set timelines, and coordinate with internal and external stakeholders. With a roadmap that includes making significant strides in streaming service partnerships, major changes to the game mechanics that power our crowdsourced music knowledge engine, and a large site redesign including a front-end technical rearchitecture, our plans for 2019 are ambitious. We’re looking for a manager who has experience organizing an engineering team to quickly iterate on and scale software used by millions of users every day.
The best candidates will have worked in the past on large-scale B2C applications built on a Rails stack or similar, be comfortable dealing with ambiguity, be able to create and administer new processes, and have enough hands-on engineering experience to define technical tasks and evaluate their team’s performance.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect—including over 130 million users on Spotify and Apple Music—across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Report directly to the CTO, managing a team of engineers with broad responsibilities across multiple products and technologies
- Organize and manage engineering work, enabling your team to work productively via weekly planning meetings, standups, daily check-ins, and ad-hoc discussions
- Grow and develop the team, making a few key hires in your first 6 months
- Understand engineering tasks well enough to hold your own in technical discussions, resolve disputes, and develop engineers
- Coordinate work with other internal and external teams, setting deadlines for deliverables and communicating proactively when timelines or requirements change
- Do enough hands-on software development via bug fixes and minor features to understand the daily challenges your team faces
- Significant experience as a software engineering manager, including people management, recruiting, and career development
- Experience working at a large-scale B2C company, ideally with a Rails stack
- Past experience as a Software Engineer, ideally on a large-scale web product
- Significant experience and expertise in at least one piece of project management software, e.g. Trello, Airtable, Asana, or similar