Genius is looking for our first Producer / Director based in Los Angeles to facilitate our Genius Video operation on the west coast. A fluency in music culture—particularly pop music and hip-hop—is essential.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Manage the production of Genius’s original series in LA
- Direct episodic content for series like “Verified”, “Deconstructed” and more
- Collaborate with video and content team to improve existing series
- Pitch new video and franchise ideas
- Maintain production and post production to ensure regular, timely distribution of LA content
- Coordinate with team members to provide status updates and moving projects through pipeline
- Book locations and freelancers when necessary
- Preserve quality control and metadata maintenance
- Assist with publishing, distribution and syndication
- Act as a liaison between NY and LA offices
- 3+ years in video production at media outlet
- Strong understanding of post production workflows
- Experience shooting talent interviews
- Passion for editorially-driven, non-fiction filmmaking
- Deep knowledge in a wide variety of music genres, particularly pop music and hip-hop
- Fluent in the culture of social media and online communities
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Technical competency with Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
- Technical competency with major digital video cameras
- Fluent in Spanish