Genius is hiring its first Director of Label Relations at our Brooklyn office. This person will lead all of Genius's partnership efforts with music labels globally.
Genius is the world's biggest encyclopedia of music. Powered by its community, in-house creative team, and the artists themselves, Genius serves music knowledge to over 100 million people each month on Genius.com and everywhere music fans connect across the internet.
Founded in 2009, Genius began as a platform for annotating rap lyrics. Over the years, it has expanded its mission to include more than hip-hop, and more than just lyrics. Every song has a story that needs to be told, and the biggest names in music—including Frank Ocean, Lorde, and Cardi B—come to Genius to give the world insight into their art.
- Identify, develop, and maintain quality working relationships with designated music labels and artists globally on behalf of Genius
- Build strong relationships across the industry as a Genius ambassador and demonstrate its strategic value to labels
- Collaborate with Business and Legal Affairs to negotiate a variety of agreements, including licensing agreements, distribution agreements, and production agreements
- Work closely with sales and marketing to offer guidance and insight into the music industry
- 5+ years of music business experience preferably at a major label, or working closely with major labels negotiating licensing and partnership deals (particularly for video content)
- Comprehensive understanding of the rights and licensing structures associated with the use of recorded music in digital, TV, and film contexts
- Long-standing industry relationships
- Superior communication, writing, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Strong problem-solving skills and an analytical orientation
- Deep fluency in and enthusiasm for music