Generation Bio is innovating genetic medicines to provide durable, redosable treatments for people living with rare and prevalent diseases. The company’s non-viral platform incorporates a novel DNA construct called closed-ended DNA, or ceDNA; a unique cell-targeted lipid nanoparticle delivery system, or ctLNP; and a highly scalable capsid-free manufacturing process that uses its proprietary cell-free rapid enzymatic synthesis, or RES, to produce ceDNA. The platform is designed to enable multi-year durability from a single dose, to deliver large genetic payloads, including multiple genes, to specific tissues, and to allow titration and redosing to adjust or extend expression levels in each patient. RES has the potential to expand Generation Bio’s manufacturing scale to hundreds of millions of doses to support its mission to extend the reach of genetic medicine to more people, living with more diseases, around the world.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of 165 people with diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Delve further. Please visit www.generationbio.com or follow @generationbio. To see additional roles, please also check out https://generationbio.com/careers/
Generation Bio is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and creative Sr Associate Scientist to join our Delivery team. The individual will have the opportunity to contribute to the advancement of new platform technologies, formulation chemistry, and pipeline candidates. In this role, the successful individual will integrate knowledge of biology and chemistry to develop non-viral vector-based gene therapies. This position will primarily involve the preparation of lipid nanoparticle formulations, while applying a suite of analytical techniques towards their characterization. In addition, the successful individual will work in cross-functional teams that include scientists from the Discovery, Preclinical, Process Science, and Molecular Biology groups. Joining the Delivery team in this role is an ideal opportunity to make a significant impact on the advancement of gene therapies.
- Contribute to scientific efforts aimed at the formulation and development of characterization methods to advance our cell-targeted lipid nanoparticle (ctLNP) technology to enable delivery to new tissues and cell types
- Apply novel assays to characterize and analyze lipid nanoparticles
- Prepare novel lipid nanoparticle formulations for multiple routes of delivery
- Characterize nanoparticle formulations using various physicochemical and in vitro characterization techniques
- Work closely with Preclinical and Molecular Biology scientists at Generation Bio to evaluate ctLNP formulations in cell-based and in vivo models
- Assist in the development of in vitro assays to better understand novel lipid nanoparticles
- Plan and execute experiments independently
- Analyze data and present to internal stakeholders
- Prepare characterization reports and document work in electronic lab notebooks (ELNs).
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, or related field with a minimum of 2 years of industry experience in research or development or a Master’s degree.
- Prior experience working on multidisciplinary and cross-functional projects
- Ability to effectively communicate results within a cross-functional team
- Experience with nanoparticle formulation and characterization is preferred
- Courageous and forward thinking
- Results-driven with excellent attention to details
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race (to include traits historically associated with race including, but not limited to, hair texture, hair type, hair length, and protective hairstyles such as braids, locks, twists, hair coverings, and Bantu knots), color, gender, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.