Generation Bio is innovating genetic medicines to provide durable, redosable treatments for people living with rare and prevalent diseases. The company’s non-viral platform incorporates a novel DNA construct called closed-ended DNA, or ceDNA; a unique cell-targeted lipid nanoparticle delivery system, or ctLNP; and a highly scalable capsid-free manufacturing process that uses its proprietary cell-free rapid enzymatic synthesis, or RES, to produce ceDNA. The platform is designed to enable multi-year durability from a single dose, to deliver large genetic payloads, including multiple genes, to specific tissues, and to allow titration and redosing to adjust or extend expression levels in each patient. RES has the potential to expand Generation Bio’s manufacturing scale to hundreds of millions of doses to support its mission to extend the reach of genetic medicine to more people, living with more diseases, around the world.
We are a thriving, collaborative, creative community of 165 people with diverse talents, beliefs, and experiences headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Generation Bio is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and creative scientist to join our delivery team. The primary responsibilities for this position will include the conceptualization, design, and synthesis of lipid nanoparticle formulations. In this role, the successful individual will integrate knowledge of biology, chemistry, and materials science to develop non-viral vector-based gene therapies. The successful individual will apply and expand a suite of analytical techniques to the characterization of formulations. In addition, the successful individual will be a thought leader and represent the delivery group on cross-functional teams that include scientists in the Preclinical, Process Science, and Analytical Development departments. Joining the Core Delivery Research team in this role is an ideal opportunity to make a significant impact on the advancement of gene therapies.
- Develop strategy to optimize novel formulations based on understanding current critical technical and pharmacological barriers
- Execute on an internal and external technical plan for the delivery group at Generation Bio.
- Assist in developing and optimizing novel nanoparticle formulations for multiple delivery routes
- Characterize nanoparticle formulations using various physicochemical and in vitro characterization techniques
- Analyze data to enable optimization of formulation parameters/characteristics
- Work closely with the chemistry, analytical development, pharmacology and biology teams at Generation Bio to evaluate the formulations in cell-based and in vivo models
- Mentor associate scientists
- PhD in biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, or related field, Masters with a minimum of 6 years of related experience or a Bachelor’s with a minimum of 8 years of related experience
- Background in the area of nucleic acid formulation is desirable for this role. Specific background in lipid delivery vehicles is preferred
- Experience working in collaborative academic projects or in cross-functional teams
- Experience characterizing formulations
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, team-based environment a must
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Results-driven with excellent attention to details
- Proven ability to effectively plan and organize complex work activities and prioritize task completion to meet schedules and deadlines
- Proactive thinking and multitasking are essential
POSITION: Full-Time, Exempt
EEOC Statement: Generation Bio believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunity for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Generation Bio will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.