Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation is dedicated to creating an organization where staff and learners of all backgrounds and identities can achieve their full potential, in class and at work. We envision an organization that dismantles barriers to success for our learners, enables staff to fearlessly be themselves at work, and advances equity in the education and employment systems that we live within.
We are seeking a talented instructor to teach the curriculum designed by the Generation team while also supporting participants throughout the length of the program. The instructor will work daily with the Teaching Assistants who are also assigned to the course. They will report to the Director of Catalyst Programs.
This is a temporary full-time position (i.e. working 40 hours per week) for 24 weeks starting in November 2021. Classes are based on the West Coast and will be held from 9am-5pm (PST) beginning November 17, 2021 and ending on April 1, 2022.
- Deliver online small group sessions to a diverse group of learners and guiding them in their learning under the supervision of the lead instructor.
- Adapt your communication style to reflect and connect with the diverse experiences of participants
- Support Generation’s data-driven model by tracking and inputting (in Salesforce/ Canvas) participant attendance and performance in class and on assessments.
- Ensure you are bringing the learning experience to life, building community and enhancing relevance through drawing on your own industry experience.
- Provide relevant and timely feedback to students on formative and summative assessment and on client projects.
- Increase participant engagement using different facilitation tactics.
- Explain complex topics in a non-technical way.
- Coach and guide students to be as employable as possible and support them to develop industry standard portfolios.
- Commit to and empathize with young/mid-career people and disconnected populations.
- Provide differentiated and one-on-one support to motivate and support participants to persevere through challenges.
- Be available to co-lead class, host office hours, provide individualized student support, and complete data entry
- Act professionally at all times, meeting Generation and PDP expectations and policies.
You are knowledgeable about industry trends in cloud technology and able to share your own personal insight with students.You love to inspire diverse groups of learners and genuinely want to help groups of learners acquire technical skills, behavioral skills, mindsets and employment coaching that will make them valuable employees in the tech sector.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- At least 2 years industry experience in the tech industry, in roles such as Developer, Systems Administrator, Cloud Engineer, Cybersecurity Analyst or Network Administrator (or equivalent).
- A basic, foundational knowledge of Programming is required
- An in-depth knowledge of Linux and Cloud Engineering is required
- An understanding of DevOps/Agile development practices is required; experience is a plus
- An understanding of basic Cybersecurity topics is desired; experience is a plus
- Prior experience as a trainer/teacher not required but experience with training, mentoring and development of junior team members is a plus
- Must be dedicated to developing skills for excellence in instruction and motivated to support learners
- Comfortable with communicating to large and small groups of people and have a desire to coach and guide learners in an empathetic manner.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity work
- Prepared to share personal insight in the industry and profession with students
- Passion for inspiring diverse groups of learners and genuinely want to help your group of learners acquire technical skills, behavioral skills, mindsets and employment coaching that will make them valuable employees in the tech sector.
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”