Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation USA is seeking an organized Regional Operations Associate who will plan, prepare, and execute the day-to-day internal operations work. The Regional Operations Associate will play a key role in proactively and responsively provide operational support for our Washington, DC office, for our regional staff and work, for our procurement and travel processes work as envisioned in alignment with the team charge, and to meet team and individual priorities and goals.The Associate, Regional Operations reports to the Managing Director, Administration and Operations.
The Associate conducts the day-to-day internal operations work to ensure regional staff is supported in meeting Generation’s goals and priorities. Will provide operational support to each of our regional teams in support of its students. Will coordinate with regional staff to ensure all internal business operations are considered, executed and well maintained.
Building upon Generation USA's Strategic Plan, Core Values, and learning to date, the Administration & Operations team will chart a clear and unified direction to further the development and implementation of internal organizational operations. The Administration & Operations team works to:
- Ensure business governance, administrative compliance, and legal obligations,
- Provide knowledge management and serve as the historical recordkeepers and
- Create innovative, sustainable, and efficient policies, processes, and systems for the organization.
This is a position that requires some in-person attendance at the Washington, D.C. Office.
Operational support to Regional staff and work (40%)
- Support the operational needs of our learner training programs in different cities and/or states grouped together by region. Regional grouping varies but can include supporting staff who work with up to five partners, who deliver training in multiple program subjects to approx. five hundred learners per region, grouped by cohorts in staggered sessions.
- Establish effective and efficient systems and processes to ensure operational work needed to support our staff who work with both partners and learners.
- Ensure all delivery partner billing is thoroughly reviewed for accuracy by reconciling all charges by program and learner and payments are tracked.
- Assist with other student related support such as obtaining learner background checks, registering students in certification testing, purchase of learner instructional materials, may assist in tracking student stipends. Maintain document storage with security and accessibility in mind.
- Work with the National Ops Lead to execute our purchasing procedures
- Review, process, track and store contracts/agreements.
- Creation of purchase orders.
- Maintain up to date and accurate vendor accounts.
- Purchase of staff work supplies, learner instructional materials, learner background checks and learner certification materials.
Travel Management (20%)
- Work with the National Ops Lead to support staff in making travel arrangements and purchases.
- Source lodging and restaurant options for staff group trips.
- Provide clear guidance on group travel logistics.
Operational support for Washington DC Office (10%)
- Ensure all operational tasks needed to operate a physical office are maintained including lease compliance, equipment maintenance, supplies, access, etc.
- Responsible for collection, processing and distribution of mail on at least a weekly basis.
Project Management (5%)
- Assist with various org wide internal facing projects that cut across multiple departments as needed to execute tasks that the Admin and Ops Team is engaged in.
- Provide operational value add to move a project to its intended outcome.
- Provide value in areas of prior work experience all things related to operations.
Operational Logistics for Organizational wide internal events (5%)
- Assist with logistics needs for a staff Offsite retreat aligned to the event’s purpose, priorities, goals and measures of success.
- Logistics include travel (guidance and arrangements), lodging, meetings space, meals, transportation, communication, post session and post event surveys.
- All items will be arranged within an identified budget and will align with identified themes, content, speaker needs and support a positive staff experience.
You are most successful when you support the team to achieve its charge, priorities, and goals collectively as a unit and in an organized, efficient, and effective manner. You are an operations consultant who operates in support of the organization. You are called upon to be a thought partner, help problem solve and act on areas where operations staff can provide additional focused value add and impact due to their knowledge, skills, experience, and expertise.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- 1+ years of professional experience
- 1+ years of operations experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and CRM database (Salesforce preferred)
- You thrive on the behind-the-scenes nature of the role
- Ability to organize, prioritize, track and manage tasks, projects and workflow that require collaborative efforts of others, across the organization and with multifaceted and evolving responsibilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to find, analyze and synthesize complex information to produce clear and effective written documents
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and manage time and stress well
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Generation's mission and commitment to working collaboratively
- Operate proactively and creatively to “see around the corner” for possible solutions to emerging issues or to create innovations for staff and the organization.
- A growth mindset; self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from multiple stakeholders
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Must have an entrepreneurial mindset - be adaptable to operate within ambiguity; committed to taking risks and experiment; be flexible and be ready to pivot to a different course of action when needed given our fast-paced environment.
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”