Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation USA is seeking an Apprentice Support Manager who will serve as a coach to ease the learning curve of learners for the first 90 days on the job and provide technical support to Generation cohorts once they start on the job. This position will be employer embedded, meaning ~50% of the time will be spent on the job with Generation graduates, observing the performance of learners, interfacing with employer line staff. The Apprentice Support Manager will report to the Director of Growth and Impact.
This is a full-time, temporary position based in Hampton Roads region with the possibility of extension depending on positive program outcomes. Candidate needs to have a driver’s license and own a vehicle.
Facilitate technical coaching with Generation graduates
- Develop 1:1 relationships with all graduates and meet weekly to provide feedback and coaching on technical performance
- Develop growth plan focused on career trajectory, ensure learners are aware of career possibilities (i.e learn a specific skill) beyond 90 days horizon (6 month, 12, month, 18 months)
- Be available to coach learners (day and night shifts) and serve as the primary point of contact when learners are facing difficulties.
Observe Generation learner performance
- Track learner performance for the first 90 days of work, develop a tracker and send a report to Generation and employer.
- Develop trust-based working relationships with employer supervisors and line management in order to facilitate observations. Align on the optimal way to observe and coach learners without impeding work.
- Flag issues early in case of issues with performance: diagnose if cause of social alienation or technical difficulty, involve Generation staff as needed.
Work with employer management to facilitate performance conversations
- Develop a transparent performance review process in order to track learner progression towards full time status. Align on performance goals (i.e % of work standard) that can be shared with learners and create quantitative performance benchmarks.
- Serve as intermediary between supervisors/line leads and learners for the first 90 days, facilitating conversations and raising culture issues (i.e deficit in coaching by permanent employees) as needed.
Handle recruitment process during cohort
- Facilitate interview process by employers during the cohort, ensuring learners are aware of process, drug/background requirements, and ensuring smooth onboarding experience
- Hold presentations as needed to inform learners about process, career pathways (including earning potential), and role of apprenticeship coach
- Over time, work with employer management to scale Generation program with projected needs by shift
- 100+ program participants confirmed in 2021
- 85% program graduation rate across programs
- 85% of graduates employed within 30 days of graduation
- 90% job retention at 90 days after employment
- 50% conversation rate from applicant leads to application completion
You have outstanding leadership skills and are energized by building strong relationships. You have outstanding interpersonal skills and are energized to coach our participants to achieve professional and personal success. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work closely with participants from diverse backgrounds. You are proactive in evaluating daily interactions with participants and employer partners and creating long-lasting interventions to ensure learner success. Most importantly, you have a proven ability to tailor your communication in an honest, open, transparent, yet nurturing way.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Experience in the manufacturing sector or training department in a skilled trade is preferred
- Creative, strategic, and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple types of partnerships and balance short and long-term objectives
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrable partnership experience
- Professional demeanor with exceptional ability to establish credibility with executives
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with high level of attention to detail in tasks and interactions
- A growth mindset; self-reflective and open to frequent feedback
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Ability to diagnose partner needs through exceptional problem-solving abilities
- Poised under pressure
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- Ability to comfortably navigate new technologies (e.g., Generation App, changes to data tool)
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
- Experience case management, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in career coaching
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”