Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation USA is seeking a Junior Data Engineer to join our Data Systems Team. In order to measure progress we must collect and analyze data at all stages. Generation’s 7-step methodology has data at the center for this very important reason. Data is both essential to determining the success of our programs and critical to our ability to diagnose problems and identify solutions. The Junior Data Engineer will help implement and maintain a data architecture that will enable robust reporting and analysis across the organization.
This is a fully remote position.
Data Engineering (70%)
- Assist in the design and implementation of an aggregate data layer for CRM and reporting purposes involving extracting, transforming and merging applicant, learner and alumni data from multiple sources (data is currently stored in disparate databases including MySQL, MongoDB and Salesforce)
- Assist in the redesign of reports and dashboards to pull data directly from the new data layer and to add additional calculations to the data layer as needed
- Integrate/synchronize data with CRM tool(s) and troubleshoot issues
- Regularly review and cleanse data as needed to ensure the highest quality possible
- Help ensure the security of our data in compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Data Collection & Reporting Requirements (30%)
- Work closely with other Data team members and different stakeholders to vet data collection requirements before implementation
- Coordinate with global data & impact team to understand the implications of changes in global data collection requirements
- Work with other systems and data team members to evaluate the use of additional collection methods and tools
- Help interpret the needs of different stakeholders and translate them into requirements to improve the data layer to support them
You are passionate about data and innovative in your approach to structuring and managing it for optimal use. You are a critical thinker and problem solver with an eye for detail. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work with various stakeholders. You are curious and can learn new systems quickly.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- 4+ years of professional experience
- 2+ years of experience in a back-end data role
- Experience with architecting/designing databases or data sets, extracting and transforming data, and managing data quality
- Experience interacting directly with stakeholders to interpret and vet data collection and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated ability in both SQL and NoSQL databases (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB, Salesforce)
- Demonstrated experience with JSON and Python preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and G suites
- Experience working remotely using Slack and Zoom preferred
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and manage time and stress well
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Generation's mission and commitment to working collaboratively
- A growth mindset; self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from multiple stakeholders
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
- Ability to discuss data with different stakeholders “in their language”
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”