Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
The core responsibility of a Career Coach is to help learners embrace their potential for professional growth and career development, additionally assisting learners with identifying personal goals, transferable and leadership skills.
This is a full-time and fully remote position.
- Orienting learners to the program expectations and program experience
- Preparing learners with skills to seek new employment opportunities
- Providing feedback and guidance on resumes and/or cover letters
- Equipping learners with strategies for successful job interviews
- Facilitating Career development workshops and 1:1 sessions with identified learners
- Review and reinforce Generation’s Behavioral Skills and Mindsets (BSM)
- Facilitate and refer learners to academic counselors at partnered community colleges, using the established referral process
- Facilitate and refer learners to social support services when necessary
- Measure learner work readiness and provide feedback
- Maintain accurate and up to date data/case notes on appropriate organization databases
- Monitor all participants' career prospects, interviews, and other career information, which includes accessing interview skills, professional brand development.
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with other team members and departments across the organization
- Any other duties assigned that will help our organization meet its mission, reach its vision, and live by its core values
- 85% program graduation rate across programs
- 90% job retention at 80 days
- 80% placement rate at 90 days
You have outstanding interpersonal skills and are energized to coach our participants to achieve professional and personal success. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work closely with participants from diverse backgrounds. You are proactive in evaluating daily interactions with participants and creating long-lasting interventions to ensure their success. Most importantly, you have a proven ability to tailor your communication in an honest, open, transparent, yet nurturing way.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Experience case management, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in career coaching
- Background in mental/behavioral health or counseling preferred
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a startup
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”