Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation USA is seeking an enthusiastic, energetic Alumni Experience Director as part of our expanding Growth and Experience team. The Alumni Experience Director will report to and work closely with our Placement team to open the doors for Generation graduates to achieve meaningful professional careers and provide the business community with a trained, educated and diverse workforce. The primary responsibility of this position is the development and oversight of Generation’s alumni program and strategy nationally.
This is a full-time and fully remote position.
Oversee alumni relationship management by (30%) :
- Create and establish systems to build meaningful relationships with alumni
- Develop strategic touchpoints with alumni across all programs in order to understand their evolving needs as they enter their post-Generation jobs and work towards the ultimate goal of a stable professional career
- Work with the communications team on outreach with alumni in all formats (social media, email, webinars, etc).
- Guiding coaches and instructors across cities and programs as they develop meaningful relationships with future alumni
- Liaising with the various US Generation cities/programs and other Generation countries to adopt best practices for supporting alumni
- Integrating alumni support into larger programmatic goals and strategies for scale
- Working closely with the Communications team to identify opportunities to highlight achievements of alumni.
Manage and delivery of local staff by (20%):
- Working with Mentor Support Lead to design and customize onboarding agendas and session plans to lead trainings with Generation mentors around alumni support.
- Facilitating the alumni portions of online and / or in-person onboarding and training for Generation mentors, engaging them in an adult-appropriate, participatory way.
- Developing a robust data collection training and continuing data completion professional development.
- Monitoring trends, best practices pertaining to youth workforce development and career-readiness to inform alumni needs.
Lead program development strategy (25%):
- Developing strategy and goals for strong alumni engagement and support on the national and local levels
- Collaborating with Learner Experience teams in each Generation USA city to ensure high quality delivery of alumni programming
- Delivering professional development to staff (e.g., coaching, refresher training, etc.) to help them improve their outreach and tracking of alumni.
- Planning, organizing, and coordinating special events and other engagement activities for alumni.
- Developing a calendar of events and other outreach opportunities both locally and nationally.
Drive alumni data management by (25%):
- Creating and overseeing a robust alumni data tracking system that includes surveys, phone calls, and innovative tracking methods.
- Documenting data tracking best practices and share them with staff across the US
- Proactively spotting issues in data completion and troubleshoot with staff to ensure data completion metrics are met.
- Translating data into concrete plans and recommendations to improvement program quality, program design and curriculum, and alumni outreach strategy.
You are a mission driven and passionate leader energized at the thought of taking Generation into the next phase of growth. You love community engagement, event planning, working with diverse teams, and spotting issues at scale.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Generation's mission and commitment to working collaboratively with a team of professionals
- At least 3+ years of professional work experience in alumni relations, alumni affairs, career services, education, workforce development or related field
- Direct management experience of full time employees
- Experience collecting and analyzing data
- Experience developing relationships with learners of different backgrounds and abilities
- Creative and analytical thinker with a track record of managing projects and delivering operational targets.
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and attention to detail.
- High degree of independence and experience with self-management
- Ability to network and build alliances
- Comfortable using digital tools
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from Generation graduates and the Generation team
- Positive, solutions orientated attitude, drive for excellence and ability to be a team player
- Entrepreneurial, creative, proactive mindset required of start-ups that takes ownership for targets and seeks opportunities for improvement / growth of the program without guidance.
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”