Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation USA is seeking a Regional Business Development Manager who will serve as the frontline business development lead for building and sustaining employer partnerships and mining new job employment opportunities primarily from engaging with employers, tech alliances, and workforce agencies for their assigned regions. They will be responsible for the entire life cycle from seeking employment opportunities, to outreach, to relationship maintenance, to sharing communication about job placement opportunities both internally and with learners. They will be a part of a dynamic and entrepreneurial business development team working towards a collective 500,000 job placements by 2030.
This is a full-time and fully remote position.
- Relationship Management and Stewardship (50%)
- Develop deep relationships with key partner by providing high-touch service
- Work hand-in-hand with the business development team to ensure Generation maximizes placement opportunities, meet its placement goals while building an opportunity pipeline to ensure continued support for their assigned regions, and for long term program sustainability
- Ensure strong relationships and regular communication with all employers in portfolio while adding new potential employers through outreach and cultivation activities
- Communicate placement opportunities with internal Generation team to ensure learner success and collaborate with Generation teams to collect and track placement data
- Manage all communication with employer partners ranging from regularly scheduled check-ins, if needed, to hosting site visits, the Regional Business Development Manager is the primary point person on behalf of Generation
- Act as liaison to Generation US National team; contribute insights, recommendations and experiences as we continue to improve the Generation model nationally and codify best practices for employer partnerships
- Prospecting and Cultivating New Relationships (40%)
- Conduct in-depth analysis of industry and hiring trends, the workforce landscape, job vacancy data, and projected growth in talent demand to pursue in existing and new cities
- Build potential prospect list within each target market using prospect research resources; managing the process from identification to research to qualified employer partners
- Perform outreach and cultivate potential employer partnerships, ranging from startups to Fortune 500 companies, in assigned cities and regions
- Build and track a portfolio of employers that will ensure we collectively reach yearly placement metrics
- Data Collection and Maintenance (10%)
- Regularly clean-up data to ensure CRM data integrity, be vigilant about record keeping, and standardize the type of information that is being put in Salesforce. For example: For all prospects research, accounts are created with key staff information so that we can create relationship maps among people within an organization and to also capture our outreach and cultivation plans to set up automatic reminders to take action.
You love to win, and you are passionate about securing resources for a mission that you believe in. You are a self-starter, and can thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, fast-paced work environment. You are also a problem-solver who is curious, persistent, resourceful, and who enjoys pursuing opportunities to help the team identify and secure philanthropic partnerships so that each city will have a robust pipeline of employment opportunities to ensure program sustainability.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Applicant can live anywhere in the US but must be willing to work across different time zones
- 5+ years of professional experience
- 3+ years of business development/sales or relevant opportunities
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and CRM database (Salesforce preferred)
- Demonstrated analytical skills to initiate and perform complex analyses and organize information to identify employer partners, tendencies, and relationships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to find, analyze and synthesize complex information to produce clear and effective written documents
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and manage time and stress well
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Generation's mission and commitment to working collaboratively
- A growth mindset; self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from multiple stakeholders
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- The ability to be flexible and adaptable in an ever-changing environment
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”