Generation is a nonprofit that transforms education to employment systems to prepare, place, and support people into life-changing careers that would otherwise be inaccessible. The global pandemic has led to an unprecedented surge in unemployment. Even before the pandemic, more than 75 million young adults were out of work globally, and three times as many were underemployed—and 375 million workers of all ages needed to learn new skills by 2030. At the same time, certain jobs remain in high-demand, and 40 percent of employers say a skills shortage leaves them with entry-level vacancies. To date, more than 38,000 people have graduated from Generation programs, which prepare them for meaningful careers in 14 countries. Generation works with more than 3,900 employer partners and many implementation partners and funders.
Generation USA is seeking a business development manager focused on opportunities that are remote to accelerate and fulfill our objectives to place all learners with meaningful professional experience. The manager will be responsible for sourcing and closing partnerships leading to substantial placements in roles that are remote and/or outside the cities that Generation is running cohorts. Finally, the BD manager will work with Generation’s marketing department to ensure maximum reach and relevance of Generation’s work in the national conversation regarding upskilling.
This is a full-time and fully remote position.
- Remote Employer Prospecting (45%)
- Seek and source opportunities with national employers who hire for remote roles with the objective of setting up multi year partnerships leading to significant learner placements
- Relay feedback from large employers to Curriculum team in order to improve Generation’s offering in the Tech space
- Prioritize relationship building with exec-level (i.e Head of HR) officers, working closely with Generation’s management to create meaningful opportunities for collaboration
- Strategic objective: place ⅓ of learners into Full Time and apprenticeship positions through the coordination with the Placement team
- Relationship Management and Stewardship (45%)
- Develop deep relationships with key partner by providing high-touch service
- Work hand-in-hand with the business development team to ensure Generation maximizes placement opportunities, meet its placement goals while building an opportunity pipeline to ensure continued support for their assigned regions, and for long term program sustainability
- Ensure strong relationships and regular communication with all employers in portfolio while adding new potential employers through outreach and cultivation activities
- Communicate placement opportunities with internal Generation team to ensure learner success and collaborate with Generation teams to collect and track placement data
- Manage all communication with employer partners ranging from regularly scheduled check-ins, if needed, to hosting site visits, the Regional Business Development Manager is the primary point person on behalf of Generation
- Act as liaison to Generation US National team; contribute insights, recommendations and experiences as we continue to improve the Generation model nationally and codify best practices for employer partnerships
- Reach & Relevance of Generation USA (10%)
- Create unified BD process to track lead generation and process among all internal stakeholders (Salesforce roll out), ensure compliance and fit with internal BD process
- Develop relationships with full array of national non-employer stakeholders in the workforce development space: labor unions, investors, local and federal government, relevant academic institutions and laboratories
- Ensure Generation participation and representation into national coalitions to upskill labor force, including consistent outreach and development of relevant materials
You love to win, and you are passionate about securing resources for a mission that you believe in. You are a self-starter, and can thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial fast-paced work environment. You are also a problem-solver who is curious, persistent, resourceful, and who enjoys pursuing opportunities to help the team identify and secure philanthropic partnerships so that each city will have a robust pipeline of revenue opportunities to ensure program sustainability.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- 5+ years of professional experience
- 3+ years of development/fundraising or relevant experience (i.e. Sales)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and CRM database (Salesforce preferred)
- Demonstrated analytical skills to initiate and perform complex analyses and organize information to identify revenue partners, tendencies, and relationships
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to find, analyze and synthesize complex information to produce clear and effective written documents
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, problem solve and manage time and stress well
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed with demonstrated passion for Generation's mission and commitment to working collaboratively
- A growth mindset; self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from multiple stakeholders
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”