Generation is the world’s largest, fastest scaling global employment program, providing young and mid-career adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Our goal is to deliver for our learners and employers simultaneously: supporting the personal and financial well-being of our graduates, while helping businesses make entry-level hires who are higher productivity, higher quality, retain longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
Founded by McKinsey & Company, Generation is its own legal non-profit entity active in 12 countries to date – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Pakistan, Singapore, Brazil and the UK – and is actively launching additional sites. Generation USA is currently live in 13 cities, and is scaling rapidly to support learners across the country.
In May 2019, Generation, in partnership with Atlanta Technical College (ATC), launched an Information Technology Program, training unemployed young adults in IT. The program offers participants integrated technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment skills training, social services and mentorship, and a supportive community.
We are seeking a talented Mentor to drive results in five major areas: (1) academic counseling, (2) career counseling, (3) alumni support, (4) participant recruitment and placement, and (5) social support. Additionally, the Mentor will be responsible for monitoring and tracking progress across all areas. The Mentor will report to the Generation Atlanta Partnership Manager.
This is a full-time (i.e working 40 hours per week) contractor position.
- Facilitate weekly 1:1 academically-focused coaching conversations with each participant to set program goals, track performance, and provide positive, constructive, and goal-aligned feedback
- Identify at-risk participants and create individual education plans to help them succeed
- Monitor all participants’ academic goal progress
- Co-construct individualized “First Two Weeks Plan” for each participant to ensure long-term success on the job
- Monitor all participants’ career prospects, interviews, and other career information
- Work with the partnership manager to screen all applicants to the Cloud Support Program and help applicants stay engaged throughout the application and enrollment process.
- Organize all student documents and application for funder requirements during the recruitment process.
- Ensure bi-monthly phone calls with participants for 90 days after Graduation to ensure retention, and strong performance on the job
- Visit graduates on-the-job, as needed, to coach and support towards retention and strong performance
- Address life issues that "get in the way" during the program and in the first 3 months of employment.
- Consistently track interactions and update participant tracker
- Support partnership manager with the delivery of material supports and wrap around services (e.g. bus passes, stipends, etc.)
You have outstanding interpersonal skills and are energized to coach our participants to achieve professional and personal success. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work closely with participants from diverse backgrounds. You are proactive in evaluating daily interactions with participants and creating long-lasting interventions to ensure their success. Most importantly, you have a proven ability to tailor your communication in an honest, open, transparent, yet nurturing way.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree - ideally in social or human services.
- Experience teaching, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in adult education
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Goal-oriented and ability to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Experience working in a startup environment is a plus
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”