Generation is the world’s largest, fastest scaling global employment program, providing young and mid-career adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Our goal is to deliver for our learners and employers simultaneously: supporting the personal and financial well-being of our graduates, while helping businesses make entry-level hires who are higher productivity, higher quality, retain longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
Founded by McKinsey & Company, Generation is its own legal non-profit entity active in 9 countries to date – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Pakistan and UK – and is actively launching additional sites. Generation USA is currently live in 11 cities and is scaling rapidly to support learners across the country.
In June 2019, Generation, in partnership with re/Start (an Amazon Web Services initiative) and forward-thinking community colleges, launched a Cloud Support Engineer program (CSE), training unemployed young adults in IT, cloud foundations and systems operations. The program offers participants integrated technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment skills training, social services and mentorship, and a supportive community.
We are seeking a talented Technology Instructor with demonstrated instructional experience and a strong technical background to train for the role and ultimately teach the curriculum designed by the AWS/Generation team and to start as soon as possible. We currently offer our CSE program in Atlanta, GA, Miami, FL, and Dallas, TX. A program in New York, NY, will launch in September 2019.
Fulfill Training Expectations
- Complete 12-week training experience, provided by Generation
- Complete AWS Academy accreditations for Amazon Cloud Foundations (ACF) and Amazon Cloud Operations (ACO). This includes self-tutoring (aligned to the 12-week training experience). These courses will prepare you to obtain the AWS Cloud Practitioner certification and the AWS Systems Operations Administrator Associate certification.
- If a candidate already has these accreditations and certifications, he/she can begin teaching Generation programming immediately with no need for further training.
- Commit to teaching Generation programming for one calendar year.
- Deliver all technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment essential lessons.
- Understand individual participant learning needs (and provide individualized education plans, when applicable) to accommodate various types of learning styles.
- Administer, grade, and provide feedback on weekly assessments and daily exit tickets.
- Support Generation’s data-driven model by tracking and inputting (in data tool) participant attendance and performance in class and on assessments.
- Utilize Generation’s technology platforms (e.g., data tool, GenApp, recruiting tool).
- Mastery of the content and ability to teach the content to a young adult population with little previous IT experience.
- Build relationships with participants, develop an understanding of their personal strengths and challenges, and foster a supportive classroom environment.
- Work with Generation staff and program partners to identify and address any issues that could prevent participants from completing the program.
- Work with the team to build community partners relationships and participate in community events.
- Support the recruitment team by participating in occasional recruitment events.
- Plan and lead occasional alumni and community job training workshops.
- 80% program graduation rate across programs
- 100% of graduates pass an AWS Cloud Practitioner certification
- 85% of graduates employed within 30 days of graduation
- 90% job retention at 90 days after employment
You are an education expert (e.g. teachers, instructors, trainers) with an IT background, or you are an IT expert with experience instructing/teaching. You have taught young adults/older adolescents in tech related subjects (STEAM, computer science, programming, etc.). You have a personal interest in emerging technologies such as cloud computing tools and program languages.
You have an exceptional ability to tailor content to different learners. You enjoy delivering sessions with energy and enthusiasm to generate excitement about learning new technical and behavioral skills. You build strong relationships with young adults and have a proven record to ensure participants successfully complete the program.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- Technical Experience
- Exposure or proficiency in working on Linux Operating System
- Exposure or proficiency in Scripting languages such as Shell and Python
- Understanding of Networking and Security concepts
- Understanding of Relational Databases
- Highly desirable: 1-3 years working/teaching in the above areas
- Passion for helping change the life trajectories of unemployed and/or at-risk youth
- At least 2 years of teaching/facilitation experience required with young adults or older adolescents
- Experience working with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in adult education desirable
- Ability to comfortably navigate new technologies (e.g., Generation App, changes to data tool)
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Full time availability.
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”