Generation is the world’s largest, fastest scaling global employment program, providing young and mid-career adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Our goal is to deliver for our learners and employers simultaneously: supporting the personal and financial well-being of our graduates, while helping businesses make entry-level hires who are higher productivity, higher quality, retain longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
Founded by McKinsey & Company, Generation is its own legal non-profit entity active in 9 countries to date – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Pakistan and UK – and is actively launching additional sites. Generation USA is currently live in 11 cities, and is scaling rapidly to support learners across the country.
In October 2018, Generation is launching a pilot program to help our employer partner, Nando’s, recruit for and train incoming staff for runner, host, and cashier positions. The program is expected to train eight 20-25 person cohorts over 12 months in the DMV (i.e. DC, Maryland and Virginia) area. After a successful pilot, we hope to continue to scale our program in other stores.
We are seeking a talented Instructor to drive results in two major areas: direct instruction and mentorship. The Instructor will report to the Generation DMV Partnership Manager.
- Deliver all technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment essential lessons
- Understand individual participant learning needs (and provide individualized education plans, when applicable) to accommodate various types of learning styles
- Administer, grade, and provide feedback on weekly assessments
- Support Generation’s data-driven model by tracking and inputting participant attendance and performance in class and on assessments in our customized data tool
- Utilize Generation’s technology platforms (e.g., data tool, GenApp, recruiting tool)
- Build relationships with participants, develop an understanding of their personal strengths and challenges, and foster a supportive classroom environment
- Work with program mentor and Generation staff to identify and address any issues that could prevent participants from completing the program
- ~70 food services participants in 2019
- 80% employment rate (100% of graduates to be offered role at Nando’s)
- 75% job retention with the same employer for at least 180-days
You are an education expert (e.g. teachers, instructors, trainers) with customer service experience, or customer service expert with experience instructing/teaching. You have an exceptional ability to tailor content to different learners. You enjoy delivering sessions with energy and enthusiasm to generate excitement about learning new technical and behavioral skills. You build strong relationships with young adults and have a proven record to ensure participants successfully complete the program.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Passion for helping change the life trajectories of unemployed and/or at-risk youth
- Experience working in the hospitality sector
- Have experience teaching and/or working closely with disadvantaged young adults between the ages of 18 and 29 years old
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- At least 2 years of teaching or facilitation experience
- Experience working the restaurant industry preferred
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”