Generation is the world’s largest, fastest scaling global employment program, providing young and mid-career adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Our goal is to deliver for our learners and employers simultaneously: supporting the personal and financial well-being of our graduates, while helping businesses make entry-level hires who are higher productivity, higher quality, retain longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
Founded by McKinsey & Company, Generation is its own legal non-profit entity active in 9 countries to date – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Pakistan and UK – and is actively launching additional sites. Generation USA is currently live in 11 cities and is scaling rapidly to support learners across the country.
The U.S. Digital & Social Media Coordinator will help effectively communicate the organization’s brand and mission on social media and our website, usa.generation.org. The Digital & Social Media Coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing, and monitoring a Generation’s social media strategy in order to increase brand awareness and improve our marketing efforts. This position will also work very closely with the U.S. Communications & Media Coordinator and the U.S. Communications Manager.
This is a salaried position based anywhere in the U.S. (preference in a city or region where Generation has a presence) and reports to the U.S. Communications Manager.
The Digital & Social Media Coordinator will support website maintenance and updates and social media activities for Generation USA. Activities will include social media development and planning, usa.generation.org updates and maintenance, and other activities and tasks as assigned. Complete and lead activities as assigned in the Rockefeller grant communications plan.
Social Media Development, Strategy, and Planning (45%)
- Develops and implements social media strategies that generate support and awareness for Generation U.S.A.
- Maintains editorial calendar for social media platforms. Within that framework, develops tactical campaigns and content calendars that advance the goals of Generation USA.
- Manage current social media channels, expands the U.S. social footprint, and makes recommendations as to whether Generation should adopt or abandon specific platforms. Researches and evaluates emerging (and current) social media platforms.
- Uses active social media listening tools and engagement practices to influence Generation’s brand and image.
- Facilitate a culture of sharing and influencer networking – works with teams locally to increase traffic on various social media channels.
- Define and track the most important social media KPIs, including contributing to quarterly marketing reports. Develops a measurable strategy for using social channels that support Generation’s overall brand strategy by engaging with multiple audiences, including prospective students, current students, alumni, donors, and others.
- Work with Communications & Media Coordinator on content plans and US Communications Manager (marketing) to ensure content is informative and appealing.
Website Maintenance, Strategy, and Planning (45%)
- Update, manage and maintain usa.generation.org through Generation’s CMS, Wordpress.
- Monitor SEO and user engagement and suggest content optimization in coordination with the U.S. Communications & Media Coordinator.
- In coordination with the US Communications & Media Coordinator, maintains an editorial calendar for the USA website. Within that framework, develops tactical campaigns and content calendars that advance the goals of Generation USA. Work with Communications & Media Coordinator on content plans and US Communications Manager (marketing) to ensure content is informative and appealing.
- Define and track the most important website KPIs, including contributing to quarterly marketing reports.
Other Communications Activities (10%)
- Assist with event communications as necessary
- Other communications-related activities as required.
You’re a professional social media and web (content-side) expert. You have at least 2-5 years of experience in a social media role (i.e. communications was your primary activity), experience in the education sector, non-profits, or “in-house” roles are preferred. You have a solutions-driven demeanor and have experience working with multiple teams and stakeholders.
Specific requirements include, but not limited to:
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a virtual team
- CMS and/or Wordpress experience
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to coach and support others on the team
- Ability to travel, occasionally (1-2x year)
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and 3-5 professional published, examples of social media management/of work performed. Work must be published and showcase social media experience in a professional/organizational setting.
Finalists for this position will be asked to submit a case study of a past social media campaign they have run as well as a statement of purpose on approach to social. The case study should explain initial campaign goals, the strategy behind the campaign including a timeline, the execution of the strategy, and an evaluation of the campaign's results.
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”