Generation is the world’s largest, fastest scaling global employment program, providing young and mid-career adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Our goal is to deliver for our learners and employers simultaneously: supporting the personal and financial well-being of our graduates, while helping businesses make entry-level hires who are higher productivity, higher quality, retain longer, and are faster to promotion than peers.
Founded by McKinsey & Company, Generation is its own legal non-profit entity active in 9 countries to date – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, Hong Kong, France, Italy, Pakistan and UK – and is actively launching additional sites. Generation USA is currently live in 11 cities, and is scaling rapidly to support learners across the country.
In October 2018, Generation is launching a pilot program to help our employer partner, Nando’s, recruit for and train incoming staff for runner, host, and cashier positions. The program is expected to train six ~20 person cohorts in the DMV (i.e. DC, Maryland and Virginia) area. We hope to continue to scale our program in other stores.
We are seeking a full-time talented Mentor to drive results in five major areas: (1) recruitment, (2) academic counseling, (3) career counseling, (4) alumni support, and (5) social support and recruitment. Additionally, the Mentor will be responsible for monitoring and tracking progress across all areas. The Mentor will report to the Generation DMV Partnership Manager.
- Facilitate weekly 1:1 academically-focused coaching conversations with each participant to set program goals, track performance, and provide positive, constructive, and goal-aligned feedback
- Identify at-risk participants and create individual education plans to help them succeed
- Monitor all participants’ academic goal progress
- Support Partnership Manager with recruitment efforts such as sourcing participants, interviewing candidates, participating in information sessions, and screening interested candidates
- Support the Partnership Manager to build relationships with community partners to source prospective participants
- Monitor all participants’ career prospects, interviews, and other career information
- Ensure bi-monthly phone calls with participants for 90 days after Graduation to ensure retention, and strong performance on the job
- Visit graduates on-the-job, as needed, to coach and support towards retention and strong performance
- Address life issues that "get in the way" during the program and in the first 3 months of employment.
- Consistently track interactions and update participant tracker and data tools
- Conduct bi-weekly touch points with alumni supervisors
- Support Partnership Manager with the delivery of material supports and wrap around services (e.g. bus passes, stipends, etc.)
- 80% program graduation rate across programs
- 85% of graduates employed within 30 days of graduation
- 90% job retention at 90 days after employment
- 100 participants trained and placed at employer partners in the next year
You have outstanding interpersonal skills and are energized to coach our participants to achieve professional and personal success. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work closely with participants from diverse backgrounds. You are proactive in evaluating daily interactions with participants and creating long-lasting interventions to ensure their success. Most importantly, you have a proven ability to tailor your communication in an honest, open, transparent, yet nurturing way.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Experience teaching, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in adult education
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Experience working in the construction industry a plus
- Ability to travel within the DMV area by personal transport
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”