In 2017, Generation launched a Hospitality program. The program will offer participants integrated technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment skills training, social services and mentorship, and a supportive community, as well as job placement support when they graduate.
We are seeking a talented Mentor to drive results in five major areas: (1) academic counseling, (2) career counseling, (3) alumni support, (4) participant recruitment and placement, and (5) social support. Additionally, the Mentor will be responsible for monitoring and tracking progress across all areas. The Mentor will report to the Generation Atlanta Program Coordinator.
This is a temporary part-time employee (i.e working 20 hours per week) with 6 months of guaranteed funding and possibility to extend/become full-time.
- Facilitate weekly 1:1 academically-focused coaching conversations with each participant to set program goals, track performance, and provide positive, constructive, and goal-aligned feedback
- Identify at-risk participants and create individual education plans to help them succeed
- Monitor all participants’ academic goal progress
- Monitor all participants’ career prospects, interviews, and other career information
Recruitment and Placement Support
- Work with the Program Coordinator to screen all applicants to the Hospitality program and help applicants stay engaged through application and enrollment process.
- Organize all participant documents and application for funder requirements during the recruitment process.
- Ensure bi-monthly phone calls with participants for 90 days after Graduation to ensure retention, and strong performance on the job
- Address life issues that "get in the way" during the program and in the first 3 months of employment.
- Consistently track interactions and update participant tracker
- Support Program Coordinator with the delivery of material supports and wrap around services (e.g. bus passes, stipends, etc.)
- 80% job retention with employer for at least 180 days
- 80% program graduation rate across programs
- 85% of graduates employed within 30 days of graduation
- 90% job retention at 90 days after employment
You have outstanding interpersonal skills and are energized to coach our participants to achieve professional and personal success. You have a collaborative and positive spirit to work closely with participants from diverse backgrounds. You are proactive in evaluating daily interactions with participants and creating long-lasting interventions to ensure their success. Most importantly, you have a proven ability to tailor your communication in an honest, open, transparent, yet nurturing way.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Experience teaching, coaching and/or working closely with adults and/or has extensive knowledge of current trends and issues in adult education
- Background in mental/behavioral health or counseling preferred
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- Entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
Generation is a global youth employment organization that helps provide young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Generation is a non-profit founded by McKinsey & Company, aimed at training and employing youth across 6 countries – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, and Hong Kong – and is actively launching additional sites.
In the USA, 6.7 million young adults are out of school and out of work. At the same time, 44% of employers say a skills shortage is leaving them with entry-level vacancies. By bridging the skills gap, we can create impact for both employers and young adults Generation USA has launched programs in four sectors: healthcare (CNA), customer service (retail sales associate, front desk agent, call center), IT (help desk, network support), and skilled trades (construction helper – NCCER certified). Additional programs can be built out based on employer demand (e.g. medical billing, medical assistant, programming).
Thus far, Generation USA has graduated 1200 young people across 10 cities in just over two and a half years. 95% of supervisors say they would hire a Generation graduate again, and 87% of graduates were ranked above average relative to peers. Students also recognize the impact of the program, evaluating their life almost a rung and a half higher on a ten rung “life quality and well-being index ladder between the start and end of the program. We currently operate in 12 cities—Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Birmingham, AL; Charlotte, NC; Cleveland, Ohio; Dallas, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Las Vegas, NV; Miami, FL; San Juan, PR; Washington, D.C.; and Wilmington, DE.
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”