We are a startup… but in the social sector. As a charitable organization, we’re committed to making the world a better place. As a startup, we move fast and use the best tools for the job. As a group of smart people backed by some of the smartest foundations and corporations on earth, we’re committed to learning, and our budget is secure and growing fast. This is a place to grow yourself and your skills as fast as you could anywhere else, while making a real difference in the world.
Generation is a global youth employment organization. Our vision is a career-launching job for every young person, everywhere in the world. We have a dual mission to empower young people to build thriving, sustainable careers and provide employers the highly-skilled, motivated talent they need. A non-profit founded by McKinsey & Company in 2014, Generation currently operates programs in eight countries - the US, Spain, India, Kenya, Mexico, Hong Kong, France, and Singapore. We are growing fast and we will see expand to another four countries by the end of the year. We have served over 15,000 unemployed or underemployed young adults ages 18-29 and are the world’s fastest growing demand-driven youth unemployment organization. We are supported by McKinsey & Company, USAID, Walmart and over 30 funders. Our employer partners include Microsoft, Scotiabank and MAPFRE. We have recently received the WISE award by the Qatar Foundation, recognizing our efforts as one of the top education organizations in the world.
As we grow to achieve our mission, we’re looking for passionate Full-Stack Software Engineers to help us tackle social challenges on a global scale using technology. You will work with talented developers in Mexico City using the latest technologies. You will work with a cutting edge tech stack along with first class testing, deployment and tooling. You will use digital to tackle social challenges on a global scale that has never been done before.
To be successful you'll need:
- At least one year of experience solving interesting technical problems and building a complex software product
- *Either* a university education in software development, or equivalent work experience
- At least some computer science fundamentals (e.g., data structures, time & complexity analysis)
- Familiar with relational databases, modern web applications and services (e.g., MySQL, RESTful APIs, Node.js, Express)
- Experience with single page web apps is preferred (especially React)
- Proficient in English (reading and speaking), so you can work with our international team!
- Comfortable working with a diverse and multi-functional team of fellow engineers, product owners, designers and project managers
- Hungry to constantly learn and improve
- To like working with a diverse, international team: we're proud to be creating an inclusive environment that's welcoming for people of all races, creeds, colors, genders and sexual-orientations.
What you'll do:
- Work with a cutting edge tech stack along with first class testing, deployment and tooling (e.g., Jest, Docker, CircleCI, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, Cloudfront)
- Work in a tight-knit environment where you will not only learn, but also teach what you know
- Exercise your creativity by designing, building, and deploying a product used by users in 8 countries on 4 continents (& growing)
- Collaborate with an international team (e.g., Spain, Kenya, India) to create innovative solutions
- Enjoy a modern, and flexible work environment (e.g., work from home, flexible schedule, and team lunches)
- Work in an agile (Scrum) development model, flexibly adapting to changing circumstances, in a way that's designed for Collaboration, Transparency, and Autonomy of the tech team.
- Work in a great co-working space in Mexico City (WeWork), with a vibrant community of startups
- Join a movement to solve one of the biggest challenges facing societies all over the world — youth unemployment
- Receive competitive salary and benefits
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedule and annual vacations
- Work in an international environment with teams from 10+ countries
- Work in cool co-working space (WeWork) with other start-ups
- Focus on learning and growth
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”