Generation is a global youth employment organization that helps provide young adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Generation is a non-profit founded by McKinsey & Company, aimed at training and employing youth across 7 countries – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
In the USA, 6.7 million young adults are out of school and out of work. At the same time, 44% of employers say a skills shortage is leaving them with entry-level vacancies. By bridging the skills gap, we can create impact for both employers and young adults Generation USA has launched programs in four sectors: healthcare (CNA), customer service (retail sales associate, front desk agent, call center), IT (help desk, network support), and skilled trades (construction helper – NCCER certified). Additional programs can be built out based on employer demand (e.g. medical billing, medical assistant, programming).
Thus far, Generation USA has graduated 1700 young people across 12 cities in just over three years. 95% of supervisors say they would hire a Generation graduate again, and 87% of graduates were ranked above average relative to peers. Participants also recognize the impact of the program, evaluating their life almost a rung and a half higher on a ten rung “life quality and well-being index ladder between the start and end of the program. We currently operate in Atlanta, GA; Baltimore, MD; Cleveland, OH; Charlotte, NC; Dallas, TX; Jacksonville, FL; Las Vegas, NV; Miami, FL; San Jose, CA; Birmingham, AL; Washington, D.C.; and Wilmington, DE.
In January 2019, Generation is launching a pilot program to help our employer partner, Nando’s, a fast-casual restaurant chain, to recruit for and train incoming managers in leadership skills. The program is expected to train six ~15 person cohorts over 12 months in the DMV (i.e. DC, Maryland and Virginia) area. After a successful pilot, we hope to continue to scale our program in other stores.
We are seeking a talented Instructor to drive results in two major areas: direct instruction and mentorship. The Instructor will report to the Generation DMV Partnership Manager.
This is a full-time temporary employee with 12 months of guaranteed funding and possibility for extension.
- Deliver all technical, behavioral, mindset, and employment essential lessons
- Understand individual participant learning needs (and provide individualized education plans, when applicable) to accommodate various types of learning styles
- Administer, grade, and provide feedback on weekly assessments
- Support Generation’s data-driven model by tracking and inputting participant attendance and performance in class and on assessments in our customized data tool
- Utilize Generation’s technology platforms (e.g., data tool, GenApp, recruiting tool)
- Deliver in-store real-time coaching to managers and managers-in training during business hours
- Build relationships with participants, develop an understanding of their personal strengths and challenges, and foster a supportive classroom environment
- Work with program mentor and Generation staff to identify and address any issues that could prevent participants from completing the program
- 90 manager training participants in 2018-2019
You are an education expert (e.g. teachers, instructors, trainers) with customer service experience, or customer service expert with experience instructing/teaching. Experience in managerial roles and or leadership development (e.g. feedback, coaching, difficult conversations, etc.).You have an exceptional ability to tailor content to different learners and provide coaching in a dynamic environment. You enjoy delivering sessions with energy and enthusiasm to generate excitement about learning new technical and behavioral skills. You build strong relationships with young adults and have a proven record to ensure participants successfully complete the program.
Specific requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Passion for helping change the life trajectories of unemployed and/or at-risk youth
- Experience working in the hospitality sector
- Have experience teaching and/or working closely with disadvantaged young adults between the ages of 18 and 29 years old
- Professional demeanor, excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to collect and analyze participant data that will influence participant interactions
- Self-reflective and open to frequent feedback from participants and program team
- Positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Ability to travel within the DMV area by personal transport
- At least 2 years of teaching or facilitation experience
- Experience working the restaurant industry required
- Experience as a restaurant manager
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. “In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”