You will be part of Generation, the world’s largest, fastest scaling global employment program, providing young and mid-career adults with the opportunity to launch successful careers and change their life trajectories. Our goal is to deliver for our learners and employers simultaneously: supporting the personal and financial well-being of our graduates, while helping businesses make entry-level hires who are higher productivity, higher quality, retain longer, and are faster to promotion than peers. Founded by McKinsey & Company, Generation is its own legal non-profit entity active in 9 countries to date – USA, Kenya, Spain, Mexico, India, and Hong Kong – and is actively launching additional sites.
The Partnership Manager is a full-time role that will serve as the primary representative of Generation on-the-ground. The role has two primary responsibilities. The first is to cultivate various partners, working closely with Boys and Girls Clubs of Puerto Rico (BGCPR), government groups, and employers, to oversee a hospitality program that is backed by paid employer relationships. The second is to support BGCPR as the non-profit partner delivering the program, deepen employer partnerships, and ensure that the program meets Generation USA target metrics on recruitment, graduation placement, and job retention. Additionally, this role may lead exploration of new professional programs.
In September 2018, Generation launched in Puerto Rico in partnership with BGCPR through funding provided by Unidos. The first few months allowed us to identify the target partners in hospitality to support the region’s opportunity youth in building thriving careers. We entered into the pilot phase to train 100 young adults in four cohorts over and demonstrate the success of the program through the Return on Investment for employer partners. Based on the success and employer demand, we will continue to scale the program.
The Partnership Manager should expect to spend a significant amount of time working at BGCPR’s offices in San Juan with frequent travel to the community partner and employer’s sites around the region.
This is a full-time temporary employee position with 12 months of guaranteed funding and possibility for extension.
- Drive partnerships and activities during planning phase by:
- Collaborating closely with the BGCPR to identify potential partners, cultivate potential partners, research workforce landscape, and determine optimal path for a Generation program in the region
- Leading outreach to new potential partners on behalf of Generation/BGCPR
- Maintaining regular contact with potential partners and providing frequent updates on planning phase status
- Managing relationships with other key stakeholders in the region (e.g., WIB)
- Coordinating partner relations events to raise awareness and interest in Generation
- Researching workforce landscape, job vacancy data, and projected growth in talent demand
- Acting as liaison to Generation US National team, contributing insights and experiences as we continue improving the Generation model nationally and codifying best practices
- Collaborating with Generation US National team to evaluate opportunities for professional program based on partners identified and greatest opportunity for impact
- Drive client partnerships and activities by:
- Maintaining regular contact with partners providing frequent updates on program status and outcomes
- Managing relationship with key stakeholders in account by providing high-quality customer service
- Coordinate partner relations events
- Collaborating with partners to establish and execute against timeline for employment for Generation students, including application submission and interviewing events
- Collaborating with national team to evaluate program against agreed upon objectives
- Maintain data collection and activities by:
- Ensuring complete and accurate reporting
- Ensuring partners maintain a file system with student information and program records; ensuring teams (instructors and mentors) keep this information up to date on the Generation Data Tool
- Confirmed commitment of employer partners to interview no fewer than 60 Generation program graduates for hire for a specific role during subsequent pilot phase and pay Generation employer fees for sustainability
You have outstanding leadership skills and are energized by building strong partnerships. You seek to constantly create new connections and deepen existing ones. You have an entrepreneurial spirit and are comfortable with ambiguity that comes with start-up environments. You have a knack for ‘getting things done,’ have high levels of ownership over your work, and don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to solve challenges.
Specific requirements include, but not limited to:
- Creative, strategic, and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple types of partnerships and balance short and long-term objectives
- Minimum of 3 years of demonstrable partnership management experience in fast-paced, high-growth, client-facing position
- Professional demeanor with exceptional ability to establish credibility with executives
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with high level of attention to detail in tasks and interactions
- A growth mindset; self-reflective and open to frequent feedback
- A positive, solutions-oriented attitude, drive for excellence, and ability to be a team player
- An entrepreneurial spirit, embracing the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- Ability to diagnose partner needs through exceptional problem solving abilities
- Poised under pressure
- A strong sense of ownership (takes personal responsibility for meeting objectives) and timeliness
- Ability to comfortably navigate new technologies (e.g., Generation App, changes to data tool)
- Data-driven approach in presenting/influencing and informing decisions
- A passion for working with disadvantaged young adults (ages 18-29), and an interest in leading a community-based coalition across multiple local organizations
- A passion for supporting economic and community development in Puerto Rico
- Managed client accounts within a nonprofit preferred
- Fluency in Spanish and English required
Generation is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds.
“In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.”