Reporting to: Director, Data Engineering - Data & Technology
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Open to remote but travel will be required (25%) for remote candidates
Position Mission: Generate Capital is hiring a Data Engineer to support the Datawarehouse initiative. Reporting to the Director of Data, the mission of the position is to help build out and maintain data pipelines from various sources into our Data warehouse, transforming to the correct structure for reporting and analysis.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital is a leading investment and operating platform for sustainable infrastructure. Founded in 2014, Generate has been accelerating the Infrastructure Revolution for years, partnering with pre-eminent innovators with a diversified fleet of over 2,000 sustainable infrastructure assets, serving more than 1000 customers and communities. We are the one-stop shop for technology companies, developers and integrators for capital and help to deploy sustainable infrastructure and for customers to meet resilience, decarbonization and cost savings goals.
Climate change, and the related resource challenges of food insecurity, energy poverty, and water scarcity, require an unrelenting focus on delivering solutions at the urgency and scale required. At Generate, we believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues by taking a systems-level approach, one that has the appropriate time horizon and the financial, operational and human capacity to comprehensively address the challenges before us. We recognize that our stakeholder alignment is our license to operate: customers, communities, innovators, developers, employees, capital partners and the planet all must win.
We do work others can’t. Generate is the long-term, flexible, operationally capable, and values-driven partner for pioneering project developers and solutions providers, offering an empathetic and experienced approach to solving the world’s most important problems.
Joining Generate is an opportunity to help build a cutting-edge, values-driven organization that is redefining the economics of sustainable infrastructure. At Generate we take a long-term approach to our people and are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and empathetic workforce that is willing to roll up our sleeves and do what it takes to get infrastructure projects built. We integrate our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels, in all of our decisions. Certified as a Great Place to Work, Generate offers employees a collaborative culture, opportunities for personal growth and exposure to ongoing learning opportunities.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for someone who is passionate about data, organized and detail-oriented, who loves to make chaotic situations run smoothly, and understands the value of strong processes. Data is at the center of our users as they leverage business intelligence reports to make data driven decisions. This person will continually work to enhance, enrich, and monitor our data pipelines with strong attention to detail as we acquire data for new assets, customers, vendors. They have to also be adaptable to multiple nuances in diverse data silos since our business covers different aspects of the sustainability industry. Lastly, the ideal candidate is passionate about Generate Capital’s mission and is looking to apply their expertise and experience to help grow and scale data services to meet the needs of the business.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Data Engineer
- Build out and own a range of data pipelines to Extract, Transform and Load data into our Snowflake data lake.
- Also build out data workflows that push data onto other systems from file to API.
- Ability to craft monitoring and automated auditing of data flows to ensure quality and reliability of the data acquisition process and the quality of the data itself
- Builds data loading services for the purpose of importing data from numerous disparate data sources, inclusive of APIs, logs, relational, and non-relational database, structured and unstructured
- Develop table structures to load data from sources ranging from REST APIs, relational databases to excel files
- Maintain code repository and auto deployment to ETL servers via GitHub and server scripting (Bash, Ansible)
- Oversee, design, and develop implementation patterns for both time series and batch-oriented data processing
- Ensure data quality, data integrity, data reliability, and timeliness of all processing jobs
- Implement and maintain ETL/Reporting standards measuring data quality, data integrity, data reliability, and timeliness and alerting whenever there is an issue
- Develop table structures to load data from sources ranging from REST APIs, traditional databases to excel files
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- A demonstrated passion for, or commitment to, our mission
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field preferred; or the equivalent years of relevant work experience and/or education required.
- Strong analytics background with proven work in financial forecast analysis.
- Solid understanding of relational, non-relational, dimensional modeling and performance impacts
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience with both SQL & scripting languages
- Previous experience in dealing with large scale data, high efficiency data extraction and transformation into a data warehouse (Snowflake, Redshift, Teradata, Netezza, Hadoop) is preferred but not required.
- Experience with solar data, energy storage, HVAC systems and/or controls software/hardware preferred but not required
- Financial forecasting techniques including automated baseline/ongoing testing forecasting will be preferred
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Strategic thinker with the ability to interpret opportunities for improvement from data/reports to team actions
- Coachable, dedicated to improvement and willing to be a team mentor
- Hands on and effective in a fast moving, creative environment
- Ability to process questions, problems, comments, objections and apply appropriate feedback, professionally and quickly
- Possesses strong leadership and relationship building skills combined with a collaborative personal style with desire and drive for results.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills, both written and verbal
- Team-oriented, self-motivated, success-driven, roll-up-your-sleeves attitude
- Strong intellectual curiosity and demonstrated ability to understand and question the data
- Healthy skepticism to challenge the status quo so we can improve
- Unimpeachable integrity and glowing references
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk, recognition that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”