Reporting to: Vice President, Credit Finance
Location: New York Office
Position Mission: We are hiring an Associate/Senior Associate to work closely with a small team that manages Generate Capital’s credit portfolio, financial operations, loan operations, treasury-related, loan administration, loan servicing, accounting, and financial reporting functions
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital is a leading investment and operating platform for sustainable infrastructure. Founded in 2014, Generate has been accelerating the Infrastructure Revolution for years, partnering with pre-eminent innovators with a diversified fleet of over 2,000 sustainable infrastructure assets, serving more than 1,000 customers and communities. We are the one-stop shop for technology companies, developers and integrators for capital and help to deploy sustainable infrastructure and for customers to meet resilience, decarbonization and cost savings goals.
Climate change, and the related resource challenges of food insecurity, energy poverty, and water scarcity, require an unrelenting focus on delivering solutions at the urgency and scale required. At Generate, we believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues by taking a systems-level approach, one that has the appropriate time horizon and the financial, operational and human capacity to comprehensively address the challenges before us. We recognize that our stakeholder alignment is our license to operate: customers, communities, innovators, developers, employees, capital partners and the planet all must win.
We do work others can’t. Generate is the long-term, flexible, operationally capable, and values-driven partner for pioneering project developers and solutions providers, offering an empathetic and experienced approach to solving the world’s most important problems.
Joining Generate is an opportunity to help build a cutting-edge, values-driven organization that is redefining the economics of sustainable infrastructure. At Generate we take a long-term approach to our people and are committed to building a diverse, equitable, and empathetic workforce that is willing to roll up our sleeves and do what it takes to get infrastructure projects built. We integrate our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels, in all of our decisions. Certified as a Great Place to Work, Generate offers employees a collaborative culture, opportunities for personal growth and exposure to ongoing learning opportunities
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values – integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability – at all levels and with our many stakeholders
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure and the teams to support it
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as a person
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing and managing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading successful startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for an Associate/Senior Associate that is a highly motivated individual with excellent organizational, writing, critical thinking, and quantitative skills to support the Credit Finance team at Generate Capital. Reporting to the Vice President, Credit Finance, this person will support the full range of day-to-day operations activities across Generate Capital’s credit portfolio with an emphasis on operational strategy, financial planning and analysis, fund administration, and related reporting/presentation of key data, findings and recommendations of these areas.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as the Associate/Senior Associate:
Operational Strategy Development and Implementation
- Assume day-to-day management in the assessment and identification of needed initiatives within our Credit team operations with an eye toward optimization and improvements
- Devise, implement and maintain new systems, protocols and/or practices (e.g., onboarding, CRM, optimization, etc.)
- Communicate with and incorporate feedback from stakeholders across the Generate Capital organization
- Assist in the scoping, scheduling and execution of internal meetings and briefing sessions on key operational issues, practices and procedures, including current organizational and industry issues and best practices
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Work with large financial data sets to perform regular analyses including those related to treasury-management, capital management. Analyses include weekly liquidity, monthly cash flow, monthly management reports, and capital status updates
- Perform variance analyses
- Project manage and perform analysis for annual budgeting and quarterly forecasting
Fund Administration and Accounting
- Support the Vice President, Credit Finance in preparing month-end financial packages
- Work closely with the Generate Capital Credit team to monitor, analyze, and ensure proper accounting of the credit portfolio. Monitor cash movements in fund accounts (e.g., perform reconciliations and investigations) to identify and resolve breaks
- Ensure proper internal control measures are met, including to support wires, invoices, and internal and external audit requests
- Review monthly Net Asset Value determinations and related records to ensure accuracy and proper reporting
- Analyze requests to modify transactions for impact to fund accounting, investment administration and financial planning and analysis as noted above
- Monitor portfolio activity (e.g., notices) to ensure complete and organized records for every deal
Candidate qualifications & core characteristics:
- 4+ years of experience in an investment management, project finance, structured credit, leveraged finance or related field
- Prior experience at an asset manager, loan administrator, renewable energy or infrastructure finance firm working in a finance-related or investment operations role
- Exposure to loan agreements, reading or interpreting lending agreements and supporting documentation
- Knowledge of GAAP project accounting and financial concepts. Ability to create and/or adapt financial models to meet financial planning and analysis, or management reporting needs.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening
- Action/results-oriented: able to execute and get desired results, consistently gets things done in a timely and professional manner, honed attention to detail
- Involve the right people at the right time for optimal problem-solving and decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team
- Ability to rapidly learn new concepts with minimal formal instruction
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk and the unknown, recognition that we’re never going to be perfect and that “perfect can be the enemy of the good
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.