Project Manager, Industrial Waste Projects Engineer
Generate Capital is hiring a Project Manager, Industrial Waste Projects Engineer, with experience in wastewater or industrial waste processing, to support a growing portfolio of sustainable infrastructure waste to value projects with focus on project expansions and retrofitting. Reporting to the Director of Asset Management – Waste to Value, you will be a critical member of our team and your work will be imperative to managing successful growth of the business.
ABOUT GENERATE CAPITAL
Generate Capital has emerged as a leader in the high-growth sustainable infrastructure market, having built a highly differentiated investment and operating platform with a track record of strong risk-adjusted returns and significant, long-term institutional investor support. Our investment platform represents the only one-stop shop for pioneers of the Resource Revolution. Our infrastructure business wins by delivering the most affordable, reliable and sustainable resources to customers.
The last several decades have ushered in a dramatic rise in demand for natural resources like energy, water, food, and materials. The “Resource Revolution” is about doing more with less of our natural resources, a fundamentally economic proposition proving that sustainability pays. We believe that we can solve the world’s most pressing resource issues, not by reinventing the world, but by rebuilding it. While some focus on finding new and revolutionary tools, we rebuild resource systems with the high-impact, economic, and proven solutions we have today. As a result, customers, communities, innovators, developers, capital partners and the planet all win.
Up until now, new energy asset finance (a $300B annual market) has been dominated by larger-scale projects that tend to attract traditional capital sources. Generate Capital, on the other hand, is focused on being a capital partner to pioneering project developers and solution providers that are typically overlooked by traditional financiers for a variety of reasons: asset size, underwriting complexity, project duration and perceived risk. As a long-term investor with truly permanent capital, Generate Capital is the only credible long-term partner for these pioneers, and the best infrastructure provider for these resource customers.
With a $10B pipeline of projects, completed transactions totaling over $2.5B and a utility-like, pay as you go model (which we call Infrastructure-as-a-ServiceTM), Generate Capital has quickly established itself as a leader in the enormous markets of distributed energy, mobility, water and waste management.
What you can expect from us:
- The ability to truly “do well by doing good”; indeed, we really are changing the world
- An opportunity to help build a cutting edge, values-driven organization that is leading the Resource Revolution and redefining the economics of distributed, sustainable infrastructure
- The integration of our values at all levels: Integrity, collaboration, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability
- An opportunity for entrepreneurship and leadership in building out and managing the company’s operational infrastructure
- A commitment to your professional development, ongoing learning opportunities, and overall growth as an individual
- The ability to work with a team with decades of collective experience financing billions of dollars of sustainable infrastructure, leading startups, and growing great people
- Competitive pay and benefits
You are an experienced self-motivated project manager, detail-oriented, and enjoy problem solving, systems evaluation & performance improvements. You have 7+ years’ professional experience working in the wastewater or industrial waste processing and are familiar with waste treatment processes & production efficiency and respective technologies available in the market. You are passionate about sustainability and excited about a long-term career that will contribute to reduce impact of different types of waste on an industrial scale.
What you will be doing at Generate Capital as Project Manager, Industrial Waste Projects Engineer:
- Assist with the development and preparation of an ongoing or new Special Project
- Develop and implement required safety protocols with vendors, service providers and facility staff
- Market analysis of technologies and vendors
- Review and understand permit requirements
- Evaluate technologies and equipment life cycle costs analysis for special projects and conduct necessary due diligence
- Lead procurement and vendor related activities
- Create scope and bid documents for projects in coordination with the facility operational team
- Collect quotes from vendors and subcontractors
- Work with project consultants and facility staff, provide or request information, documents, data, support as needed
- Support relevant aspect of project development, pre-executable portion of the special project
- Manage the execution of Special Projects
- Monitor the compliance of all required safety protocols
- Report on progress versus budget and timeline, and approve milestone payments
- Perform regular site visits to engage with key personnel and manage/observe progress of special projects firsthand
- Develop process to ensure continued permit compliance in all aspects of the construction and operation including, staff training, record keeping, compliance testing, documentation, and reporting
- Perform critical path analysis and develop/implement remedial plans as necessary
- Interface with administrative services, including accounting, financial reporting, cash management, and invoice processing
- Review of invoices against purchase orders to ensure compliance
- Develop punch lists for contractors to ensure all necessary operational needs, trainings, documentation, support, spares, specialty tools have been satisfactorily provided to operating staff
- Review and/or implement commissioning and qualification protocols to demonstrate process is being followed as planned and designed
- Perform P&ID walk-downs to determine As-Built drawing accuracy, equipment documentation, labeling, organization
- Support operations team with project startup, commissioning, troubleshooting, and operation
- Evaluate & analyze commissioning data and support from functional testing through commissioning, check-out, and acceptance
- Participate in the preparation or review of annual plans for projects under direct management; propose and implement corrective plans as necessary
- Assess the performance of all service providers being directly managed on a quantitative and qualitative basis
- Assist in the development of preventative maintenance routines, daily inspections, checklists, develop QA/QC checklists for various plant processes
- Develop comprehensive understanding of process operations, controls, maintenance and operational requirements, document and draft system/site specific checklists, SOP’s, QA/QC requirements.
- Monitor progress of completed projects and its operations, in coordination with the facility Project Manager to identify opportunities for optimization and improvements
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in mechanical, chemical, electrical, industrial engineering or other related technical discipline.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience with focus on project management.
- Experience in wastewater or industrial waste process engineering, field operations, process design, materials handling & management, manufacturing/controls engineering.
- Knowledge of most wastewater and/or industrial waste processing technologies available in the market
- Excellent organizational and self-management capability.
- Proficient at understanding equipment life cycle documentation.
- Strong technical writing background, experience in development of SOP’s, checklists, QA/QC documentation.
- Experience in evaluating integrated plant systems involving automated mechanical, electrical, biological, chemical systems.
- Experience in the energy industry working in industrial environments with integrated plant systems is a plus
- Familiar with P&ID’s, PLC’s, SCADA Systems, Building Automation Systems
- Basic knowledge of project accounting, familiar with utilization of accounting systems or purchase order systems
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, including empathy, intuition, and listening
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a cross functional team
- Ability to rapidly learn new concepts with minimal formal instruction
- High level of self-awareness and humility, with excitement about confronting uncomfortable situations or new challenges
- Intellectual agility and curiosity, superb analytical skills; problem-solving is your default mode
- Entrepreneurial spirit: flexibility, comfort with risk and the unknown, recognition that we are never going to be perfect and that “perfect can be the enemy of the good”
- Knowledgeable and dependable presence with experience working with management
- Experience in a growth company is preferable
Location and Travel Requirements
- This position is a remote position and has no required location.
- Travel required approximately 30-40%+ of the time comprising visits to various facility locations across north America, visits to Generate corporate offices in san Francisco, CA, conferences, and meetings with key vendors and stakeholders in various locations.
Generate Capital is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.