General Proximity is a seed-stage startup developing the next generation of induced-proximity medicines. Our OmniTAC drug discovery engine yields molecules that co-opt existing cellular machinery to overcome exigent therapeutic challenges which have remained unapproachable to other modalities for decades.
We are seeking first-rate Research Associates to help us pioneer this uncharted frontier of drug discovery.
A long-standing challenge in drug discovery is the development of molecules capable of modulating difficult or "undruggable" targets. Disease-causing proteins can be dysfunctional in many different ways, but our armamentarium for modulating them is typically limited to inhibition. There are, however, many other possible perturbation types whose potential remains unrealized.
General Proximity is a seed-stage drug discovery company developing a novel platform technology to solve this problem. We make bifunctional drugs that induce the modification of drug targets by existing cellular machinery (rather than through direct modulation by the drug, the classical approach), unlocking the ability to go after high-value oncology targets. Historically, the development of technologies that allow one to push new buttons in biology has been an incredibly fertile field for the discovery of new medicines[2, 3, 4], and our approach will be no different.
We are seeking an exceptional Research Associate to join our Biology Team. In this position you will work in close conjunction with our Platform Team in the development of our core drug discovery technology. Your responsibilities will include cell culture-based phenotypic assays, a wide range of molecular biology techniques, as well as performing mechanistic studies on lead drug molecules.
- BS or MS in Biology or related field.
- Proficiency in:
- Mammalian cell culture, passaging/seeding cells
- Molecular cloning, CRISPR, PCR and other common biology techniques like western-blotting
- 2+ years of post-degree experience
- Experience with HTS and phenotypic assay development
- Transient/stable protein expression and characterization, immunoprecipitation assays.
- Experience with animal models of cancer (GEMM, orthotopic, xenograft models)
- Prior experience on teams that have successfully advanced research to the clinic
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong equity incentives. We are looking for candidates who will bring a strong sense of ownership to drive their project areas forward, and we believe that you deserve to be compensated accordingly.
- Top tier medical, dental, and vision coverage + One Medical membership.
- 401(k) retirement plans.
- Reading budget! We will buy you books 🤓
- Located in the MBC BioLabs Dogpatch site; an entrepreneurial hub full of the best scientists and operators the Bay Area has to offer. Our lab is a very short walk from the 22nd St Caltrain Station and a number of wonderful restaurants and cafés.
High Agency. Initiative, independence, and self-accountability are some of our most valued traits.
Enthusiastic. We love people who are excited about what they are doing, and are generally attempting to build a high-energy team.
Intensity and Grit. Early-stage startups are hard. Drug discovery doubly so. We are looking for candidates who have a demonstrated ability to stick with hard problems for the long haul, with a team that has your back along the way.
Prosocial. We are here to create life-saving medicines for the patients who need it most. You should be too.
Work Hard/Play Hard. We believe time is our most valuable commodity, so we strive to create a culture that reflects this. We won’t drag you through unnecessary meetings or email you at 7 PM on a Saturday. When we're at work we're there to get things done and when we're off we're really off 🌴
Strong Communication. We like well-written documents over PowerPoints, OKRs over vague mission statements, and weekly one-on-ones over yearly reviews.
Writing First. We have a "writing-first" culture. We believe that clarity of writing reflects clarity of thinking, and that the benefits of well-written documentation in a scientific environment are innumerable: democratization of ideation and decision making, increased reproducibility, quicker scaling and onboarding, and better company-wide alignment, to name a few.
Growth. As an early-stage startup we value scientists with an independent, can-do attitude. The more hats you can wear, the better. Our job as employers is to put you in positive-feedback loops so you can grow in the direction of your choosing.
Title and compensation commensurate with experience. Applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds, women, and members of underrepresented minority groups are particularly welcomed. We look forward to hearing from you :)
See also: jobs.generalproximity.bio